Menu

Colored Pencil storage?

Ok, so I bought the expensive Prismacolor colored pencils because I found a really good deal, but now I don't know how to store them so they don't get broken. I've heard that the lead is more fragile than the cheapies that I am used to having. So how do you store your Prismacolor pencils?

Just in thier own pencil box so I know which one are the good ones. I also store the pencil sharpener in there to remind us to use it.

Prismacolors are more fragile than regular pencils but you don't need to completely baby them either. I still have 50 or so that are from the 1980s. They have been moved from state to state and used by kids for years. They are still great.

Dd12 has a metal tin for hers and she has carried them back and forth to school many times in a crammed-full back pack. No problems.

We have been storing ours in little buckets we get in the Target $1 section. We had a lot of broken Prismacolors with our first two sets, even when we stored them in their tin cases. I'm going to give it another try with a new set. I hear the place you purchase them from can make a difference - less drops? Not sure about that, but I want to give them another chance. :)

I attached a photo so you can see how all our pencils/markers/etc... are stored.

Ooh, we also have watercolor pencils that are high quality. We keep them in a plastic case because we seem to take them on nature hikes.

post-8662-13535085141341_thumb.jpg

post-8662-13535085141341_thumb.jpg

Ok, thanks guys. I just wasn't sure how fragile they were (I was picturing them being wrapped in bubble wrap and a pain to get at when needed :D). Anyway, my girls have a shoe box size plastic tub that they keep all their supplies in (pencils, pens, erasers, tape, glue etc.) so it's easy to pick up and move from room to room, or in the car. So it sounds like I just need to get a small pencil box for the Prismacolor's and they will be fine in the tub, right?