Menu

Where did you buy your Miele vacuum and other Miele questions

I'm shopping for a Miele. I really didn't want a bagged vacuum, but it really looks like the Miele might be the best quality. I have a German shepherd who sheds constantly. I am most interested in a canister.

Of course, the Olympus is the most affordable at $300, but I think I want the power brush don't I? I think I could just buy the power brush for the Olympus, but why not just buy the lowest cost machine with the power brush? Thoughts? Which features are desirable on a Miele vacuum? That might be a moot point since there is noooo way we can get the upper models, but humor me... :)

I have all hardwood and ceramic tile with 2 large area rugs.

Please tell me where you bought your Miele (best deal), and which one you would recommend for use with a big furry pet.

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

I bought our Miele cannister from a Sew & Vac shop in town. We actually explored the options, found the best price online and then went to the local guy and asked if he could give us the same price. He did.

We do have the power brush and I'm glad. We have hardwood downstairs (with a large area rug) and berber carpet upstairs.

I have a Miele Antares without a power brush. I bought it as a closeout from a locally owned store, so no help there. I also have one malamute/GSD cross and a golden retriever--I understand hair! :glare:

I have mostly hardwood, but my family room is cut pile wall to wall. On my hard floors, there is no need at all for a power brush. The hair sucks right up in a jiffy. My brush attachment is powered by the suction of the machine, and I do think a power brush would make it work better on the carpet. Nonetheless, I am constantly amazed at how well my vacuum works even without the power.

I would do a thorough check on whether you can add a power brush to a vacuum that isn't wired for one. My Miele doesn't have any power source that would go to the attachment, so I don't think it would work. Maybe there's something that I'm not seeing, though.

Beth

Guest momk2000

We have a Miele that we purchased at a local Miele retailer where we used to live. It is about 12 yrs old, and still going strong. We have never had any problems with it or needed any repairs. I love it!! :)

Got mine off Amazon--the Olympus, which we could just barely afford. But it's been worth every penny. We have hard floors throughout, with three sizable entrance mats. It's worked fine for us without the power brush but we do not have a big, hairy pet, so I can't speak to that. I love the ease of use factor and how light and quiet it is.

I read a lot of reviews about the pros and cons of the Olympus before buying and decided I could put up with the cons. The one feature I find to my surprise I really don't like is that the cord is relatively short. I thought this was a kind of weenie complaint when I read it in the review; that's what extension cords are for, right? Well, I now use an extension cord every time I vacuum, and yes, it is kind of a pain. But not a worth-$200-kind-of-pain.