Menu

RPG's on websites?

My kids are really into RPG's on some of their favorite websites. It stands for Role Playing Games and basically, as I understand it..they write stories. One person post a comment and the next adds to it and it goes on and on. They love to write and now they want to start a website where they can write and have RPG's. Anyone have kids that participate in these? What do you think about a 9 and 10 yo having a blog/website to do this. I am really against it but I know it's writing and there are worse things they could be doing. I don't know how to let them do these and keep them safe, kwim?

Thanks In Advance!:001_smile:

he first message posted onto a thread of that nature is usually one person laying down the scenario, starting a story about their character and inviting others. The thread then becomes an ongoing story in which players periodically advance the plot by reading the latest reply and then typing what their character does and how the environment changes in response. These replies are often open-ended so that other players can continue.

This is what they like doing and the stories are usually about wolves or some sort of animal that they are interested in. The girls have been very interested in learning about Yellowstone and playing their online wolf game lately.

Edited by fourcatmom

My kids are really into RPG's on some of their favorite websites. It stands for Role Playing Games and basically, as I understand it..they write stories. One person post a comment and the next adds to it and it goes on and on. They love to write and now they want to start a website where they can write and have RPG's. Anyone have kids that participate in these? What do you think about a 9 and 10 yo having a blog/website to do this. I am really against it but I know it's writing and there are worse things they could be doing. I don't know how to let them do these and keep them safe, kwim?

Thanks In Advance!:001_smile:

And here I was thinking your kids were into Rocket Propelled Grenades, and those definitely are not safe :D

Play on!

Bill

Just do the same thing you would with anything online. Be careful of strangers, teach the kids to not give any personal info out, and to not get addicted to playing these games. As in anything, moderation and balance are key.

Also, some RPG's have elements of magic or sorcery that some parents may have problems with.

Just do the same thing you would with anything online. Be careful of strangers, teach the kids to not give any personal info out, and to not get addicted to playing these games. As in anything, moderation and balance are key.

Also, some RPG's have elements of magic or sorcery that some parents may have problems with.

I know the one's that they have done, they have started more and they are always stories about animals. My fear if it's some sort of blog/website is that I would not be able to control it and it would open the door for anyone to post anything they wanted. Right now, as they see it and as they participate in it, it's about animals and it all seems pretty innocent.

And here I was thinking your kids were into Rocket Propelled Grenades, and those definitely are not safe :D

Play on!

Bill

I remember my boys first talking about RPG's and I was so confused because Rocket Propelled Grenades was my first thought. Now I know better. Ha! :tongue_smilie:

I used to do one like that. I actually owned the site at one point. I would say that they're fun, but to be careful. They can become really addicting. I ended up leaving the game and basically shutting down the site because all of the players spent literally every second they had on the game... and a lot of time they didn't have (like time at work, time supposed to be with families, ect.). So, encourage them to have fun, but monitor it. Also, the ones I saw were a LOT of adult content. So, again, monitor carefully.