Menu

Standardized Test Scores: Average?

Does anyone stress out when they see there dc's test scores? Son took the CAT test and got test results back today. He's not below average, just...average.

Of course, he's not average to me. He's funny, articulate, just a great kid. But ouch! That kind of hurt...

Anyone else ever get that feeling?

I wouldn't worry about that. That means he's right where he's "supposed" to be for his age/grade level. So, good job, Mom. :)

With that said...I'm not a fan of standardized testing and don't put too much stock in them to begin with. You know your son's strengths and weaknesses, his interests and talents, that there's so much more to him than a test score... really, they just don't matter much, unless he's much older and they're going to be used toward trying to get into a college or some such.

Does anyone stress out when they see there dc's test scores? Son took the CAT test and got test results back today. He's not below average, just...average.

Of course, he's not average to me. He's funny, articulate, just a great kid. But ouch! That kind of hurt...

Anyone else ever get that feeling?

Average scores are great. They aren't measuring him, just how he did answering questions on a test. He did about the same as everyone else, that isn't a bad place to be. Every test measures something different. Only in regards to the material that that test tested him on, he is average...it doesn't mean anything other than that. (odd sentence ;) )

Ds16 is in full time college and is taking college Chem3 and Calc3. HE took the SAT and ACT in the same month. He is definitely not 'average', but according to his SATs, his is just a smidge above average. He doesn't test well in the SAT format. The ACTs he did great on. The SATS are a predictor of how well they think you will do in college--he is doing a bit better that average LOL :lol: The ACT is a knowledge based test. It tests what you know. That is why he did great on it, and ehh on the SAT.

Don't worry about these things. You know where he falls on the material you are using. If there was an assessment test based on the curricula you are using, I am sure he would do great.