Menu

How do YOU teach/handle reading with very strong readers?

my 2nd and 4th graders read widely and avidly on their own. As I try to plan my fall with them, I am wondering exactly how we should be doing reading lessons. we will be using MTC and some FLL/WWE and reading and writing across their other subjects. We will also be trying MTC's literature program.

TIA

My lesson learned . . . keep them reading some out loud to you longer than you think you have to. You catch pronunciation issues, comprehension issues, etc. Plus it is such a vital skill, so many adults are embarrassed to read out loud. I learned this with my older two strong readers. I relaxed on this and really regret it so my youngest gets the brunt of the lesson learned!

Another vote for having them read out loud for part of the reading time. I catch my kids reading too fast and not stopping at periods, since they are so accustomed to whizzing through their books during silent reading.

Also, I didn't realize my son had comprehension problems since he was reading so far above grade level. Even though he could read the words fluently, he wasn't understanding some of the ideas. You wouldn't be able to catch this without doing reading aloud time.

I let my oldest stop reading aloud when he was comfortably reading 4th grade level books. After that I required a book report, oral report, or a discussion of the book. He is asking for worksheets to do to go along with his book so I may try that out with him next year.

I still have my younger son read aloud to me. Even though he is reading 4th grade level books he isn't ready to stop reading aloud because he often skips words he doesn't know and will skip little words at times too.

I always use real books and stay away from readers and reading comprehension programs.

I've done some informal literature analysis through discussion, but I am starting semi-formal literature/poetry analysis this coming year since my child is ready to read literature that is often analyzed.