Menu

Looking for an "easy" option

Jennifer

I'm really liking CLE's approach to math and language arts. How is their history and science? I am going back to work part-time next week and my kids will be with dh or a sitter two day a week. I was thinking that if there was some work-texty science and history out there for them to do while I was gone and then on my days off and weekends we could continue with our history and science a la TWTM.

Jennifer

I think you can get a good idea from the sample pages on CLE's website. I ordered a LU of each to look at (first grade) and thought it would be a waste of time. For example, in science they were teaching colors. If you like the look of the samples, though, it might work well for your family.

I was not impressed by the samples of CLE History or Science. We are using their LA, though will be moving to something secular when we finish.

If you want secular workbooks in science or history, I'd browse an educational book store or rainbow resource for the time period and topics you are interested in. As you know... some workbooks are better than others. I've found that Evan Moor and Teacher Created Resources are pretty good. Also the Everyday Life workbooks are great for history (Good Year Book).

If you want a more complete program -- maybe look into the Critical Thinking Company's history or science detective? Galore Park's Jr. Science and Jr. History is also pretty independent. We've used the history series and might start the jr. science with my youngest next year.

It sounds to me like you are looking for something to fill up time, right? If you are already planning on doing history WTM style, this is just to keep them busy?

In that case, I might get thier opinions. Maybe history isn't worth the money, maybe games or books would be better. Maybe they really dislike the looks of one or the other.

We really like Noggin games and Quick Pix games. Both my kids play with no grown ups (not all games work well like that;)) , Quick Pix starting about 4yo (we love the animal game) and Noggin when they can read well (in categories that match what we are studing in history and science).

"I" would use the Evan-Moore Daily Science and American Facts & Fun. After Facts & Fun, I would use Down to Earth Geography by Teacher Created Materials. I've planned it all out. . .just in case. After elementary, I would switch to pacworks for history and science. :D

Jennifer

You could also add geography instead of history on those days. I highly recommend the Star Spangled State book and workbook if they haven't already studies the states.

Edited by JenninMN