Menu

If using PP, when do your start grammar/spelling?

We started spelling with SWO A when PP introduces multisyllable words around page 100 so basically about half way. We waited on grammar until after PP was complete for our oldest which would have been first grade. For our second we decided to hold off on grammar until 2nd grade because the FLL material didn't seem to be sinking in.

HTH

With my older daughter, we did PP over a year and a half, roughly from the start of K to Christmas break in first grade. We started spelling and FLL in first grade, so she was maybe 2/3 to 3/4 of the way done with PP and reading fairly well. I don't think you necessarily need to be that far along in PP--that's just where we were at the beginning of first.

We started SWO-A halfway through PP (about beginning of 1st grade), but didn't get very far into it with either of my two children. SWO just didn't teach anything. It did, however, give them an appreciation that there was really only one correct way to spell each word. That was valuable to me, as both my kids thought "their way" was good enough. :o)

We started FLL half way through first grade, and finished it at the end of second grade.