Menu

School room, or not?

School room, or not?  

1. 1. School room, or not?

• I have a school room, and we use it regularly.
    • I have a school room, and we rarely use it.
    • I used to have one, and got rid of it because we didnâ??t use it.
    • I used to have one, and want it back!
    • Iâ??ve never had one, and don't want one.
    • Iâ??ve never had one, but would like one.
    • Other

I voted "other". We have a school room that we use when we need the white board or when I'm doing an activity with two or more kids. What we found out this past winter was just how dark and dreary it is, even with new light colored paint. It's in our daylight basement but there just hasn't been much daylight here in WA this past year. DD12 began taking her work upstairs to the living room to have a bit more peace and quiet. The other two girls and I tend to do a lot of work on the couches. If I could make the room a bit more comfortable (better chairs, better lighting), we'd probably use it a bit more. It does however provide the space we need to keep all of our books and other supplies organized, so it does have its purpose even when we're not actively using it.

I am working to turn our dining room into a school room. We only use it for meals if we have a lot of people over. I want to have the table for puzzles and projects. I have a book shelf and dresser for supplies, a desk for me, and one student school desk. The room also holds my elliptical. The main problem is that it is the room you walk into from outside...it becomes a dumping ground. The playroom also tends to explode into the dining room! I need to get rid of stuff....but it is tough!!

We start school Aug 1st, I won't have it ready by then; but I hope to get it done by September!

I don't have a designated "room".

I have a computer desk and a large hutch in my dining room where I store our books and supplies. I have maps on the wall and one wall covered in chalkboard paint. My two boys do school there at the dining room table and computer desk.

My youngest does her school in the family room at the coffee table. She prefers having a lower table to work on and her supplies are kept in a "workbox-style" plastic drawer set. She has autism and needs the extra organization and her own separate working space.

We did have a school room. Our dining room is what we converted fully into a school room.

We're looking to move and our house is currently for sale so having the school room up wasn't appealing and had to go. So it's packed. And honestly I don't want it BACK! I loved it when we had it. BUT now that's its gone and our house is OPENED up..I enjoy the space and all the tidy looking appeal our home has. Even before with a clean schoolroom it was chaotic! All the posters, maps, word walls..ect.

This coming school year I am not doing the workboxes since it'll just be hectic in the middle of moving. BUT I do have an office drawer set of 10 small drawers that hold our main subjects. Then in our huge drawer and shelving space I will hold what we'll be using that year. AND not all of what we have for homeschool! That was my mistake before. I had school books out from when my oldest was in preschool and want to use it with my ds..however that's not for another year or 2!! And my oldest is entering 3rd this year. That was just too much! Also I do have alot I want to hang on to in case something doesn't work, but once we start and get a feel for our new history and science I will have to make a decision to sell the old stuff.

Most of what I have will be packed away in a closet until we start a new school year.

So I vote for NO school room. Or if you do have one, put it downstairs out of the MAIN living area. But that's just me.