Menu

What can you list on Craig's List? Canning...

My mother and her sister invested several hundred dollars in jars and canning stuff because my cousin swore she had several people who wanted to buy it all. Now (big surprise <sarcastic>) my cousin says she can't take them all back with her.

So, I recommended her to list the homemade salsa and such on Craig's List because people often want that. I know I would. Her concern is whether or not there would be a situation with a lack of food license of any kind. Would she get in trouble for offering canning for sale? (Alabama)

Thanks!

Selling food out of the home can be risky. There may be a license requirement. Some states do allow cottage food industry but you'd have to check with your state. Also be prepared to provide a list of ingredients for the product.

I think it is different wherever you are. I know in Maine, the standard is running water and a stainless sink of a certain dimension (at least for herbal products). For the same sort of things a friend in Mass has a "farmstand" license. Here, the rules are different, more difficult to negotiate in a home kitchen.

She should check with her county.

I am not familiar with Craig's List, but I used to volunteer in a food pantry and we had to throw out donations of home canned goods as they didn't meet (local? state?) food regulations. (Dedicated commercial kitchen, health code inspections, etc.)

Honestly, I would never buy anything home canned off of Craig's List or at a garage sale or... you get the idea. :tongue_smilie:

Maybe they can obtain a permit to sell it at a local farmer's market?

You need to check your state's laws. You could get in some trouble for selling if your state requires an inspection of your kitchen facilities or licensing.

I would not be inclined to do it because people are so "sue" happy these days and I doubt it would be covered under my homeowner's policy.

Faith