Menu

Grammar for elementary?

tntgoodwin

Is FLL as rigorous and intense as R and S? We kinda like the idea of R and S, but would like something more scripted. We will be starting in first grade, but hoping to get something we could follow all the way through 5th or 6th grade, or even higher.

So basically, I guess we are looking for the most academically advanced and rigorous curriculum that is scripted, and not too expensive. :)

I would consider R&S to be scripted, actually. All I do is follow along with the TM. The first small bit of the lesson is often writing something on the board and discussing it, which the TM tells you how to do, almost in a scripted way. The rest of the lesson is just reading the lesson with the student following along in his textbook, periodically answering questions. All of the answers to the lessons are printed in the margin of the same page of the TM. I never need to do any preparation.

There is no R&S English for first grade. They start grammar in 2nd. I think FLL2 teaches more concepts and moves quicker than R&S2. The FLL series is very thorough. R&S is also very thorough, and grade 3 and up are very rigorous. I like both. R&S has an excellent TM where it tells you exactly what to do, but doesn't give you a canned conversation. You do have to pick and choose exercises, as it's written for a school and includes more than you'll likely need.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Both are excellent programs.

I love, love, love FLL. I used levels 1-4 with my almost 12 yo. He then used R&S for 5th grade and in 6th grade he moved into Classical Conversations Essentials class VERY easily. (Essentials has lots of grammar details and most find it to be very rigorous.)

I, too, liked the scripting in FLL - not because I didn't understand the grammar, but because I liked that I could "pick up and teach". I found R&S more difficult to use, but probably partly because I didn't use it until 5th grade. The concepts were not difficult, and the diagramming at 5th grade was more simple than FLL in 4th grade. FLL introduces diagramming in level 3, lesson 11 (out of 89 lessons total).

We plan to stick with Classical Conversations, where I tutor the Essentials class. However, as my 4 yo begins grammar, I think we'll use FLL through 4th grade because I love it so much.

I hope this helps!

There is also Advanced Language Lessons for grade 5 coming out this fall/winter and probably by the time a current 1st grader needs them, the series will go to 8th grade.

FLL/ALL are just so much better set up for homeschoolers. They really get to what needs to be known with out a lot of extra time wasters.

If you want the scripting, I would go with FLL.

But I also agree you can't go wrong with either one.

I am very interested in R&S, as well. Since it starts in 2nd grade, this year for first we bought Climbing to Good English. It is on the R&S website; I think the company that puts it out is somehow related to R&S. It is a workbook, and while it's not scripted (there's no need for it to be), it's very easy (said by a mom who likes scripted). Most of it is phonics review, while it ends introducing some early grammar concepts, including: homonyms, antonyms, contractions, alphabetical order, sentence structure, prefixes & suffixes, nouns, verbs, and more. All that being said, we're doing FLL1 alongside it. At the end of 1st grade, we'll re-evaluate which direction we want to go.

Just an option for you, if you decide you are looking at the R&S path and need something for first. And you can't beat the price - $3.80 at Rainbow. :)

FLL is a little dull, but it's a :party:in comparison to R&S. :tongue_smilie:

:lol:

True, but I get a kick out of thinking what the Mennonite teachers would think of my son's sentences... An example of a sentence with one simple subject and two simple predicates: "I killed his people and destroyed his ship." We have fun with R&S this way. :D

Similar how? The tone is the same as the author is the same. I think they follow each other wonderfully. If my sons would have gone for OPGTR, I would be starting FLL 1/WWE 1 about now. Both are needed to make a complete grammar/writing course.

I have used R&S with my older two more than once. We detested R&S. FLL is just so much better. They can still recite the definitions they learned from FLL even now.

Edited by Guest

I have a first grader this year and we are using Shurley English. It is scripted and has a CD with it. I have purchased some used R&S books to look at for the future. Shurley English was highly recommended by a friend. I don't like that is does not have diagramming, but it was suggested by someone whose children have wonderful grammar! Much better than mine!

I will either start R&S in 2nd and work from the beginning of the series, or pick it up in 5th grade. Not sure yet.