Menu

? about VP Bible....

If you use Veritas Press Bible could you tell a little bit more about what it's like?

1) What ages do you use it with?

2) How do you (or would you) adapt it for little ones?

3) How much time do you spend with it?

4) Do you feel it is strictly academic? or do you get more out of it than that?

5) Does it lend itself to helping children find ways to apply the Bible to their own lives?

6) Could you use the cards without the TM?

And anything else you can tell me about your experience with it!

Thanks!!!

I would say that this is strictly an academic program. And it's a good one. It is a chronological study of the Bible.

I use it as recommended in the VP catalog, beginning with 2nd grade. Like most VP stuff, I think it is written a little bit above grade level of the average student. If you do the program exactly as layed out, your student will be doing quite a bit of writing for a 2nd grader. We did a lot of it orally in the 1st year.

I think the VP projects are worth doing, but if you buy just the cards, and not the TM, you won't get the projects.

As you know from my VP history post this week-end (which you responded to , thank you) I am struggling with my reluctant reader/writer in the VP history program. But for some reason, she doesn't mind the Bible. Maybe it's because the material is already somewhat familiar to her from our Bible reading and Bible CDs and such.

Anyway, it's a good academic program, imho. For my youngers, I have just let them listen in on the reading of the card, which I supplement whenever possible with the VOS Child's Story Bible. I also try to find coloring pages that correspond to the reading just to keep their little boy hands busy with something while I read.

It takes us 20-40 minutes/day depending on the amount of writing on that day.

No, I don't think it helps the little ones apply the Bible to their own lives, although that part is easy to throw in yourself as you discuss the lesson with your dc.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Jackie

I have used the VP Bible program for 3 years with my children who are now 10, 8 and 6. I haven't used many of the projects. I did use the tests for most of the last 2 years mainly for writing practice and review. I agree with Jackie that it's pretty much a factual study, not much of a devotional study. I am not going to continue the program after this year. I have found myself hating going through the cards every day, so much that I quit doing it. We're finishing up the last 2 weeks just by reading the card and accompanying scripture.

I read the summary on each card to them, along with selections from the Vos Story Bible, Victor Journey Through the Bible, the Children's Illustrated Bible, a regular adult Bible and another illustrated Bible resource I have on hand. My dc answer the questions orally, and we discuss what we have read. They do some of the projects, but not many. We also listen to the memory song, although my focus has been on remembering the events in chronological order, more than on memorizing dates, and the chapters and verses where each event is found. Sometimes, I scramble the cards, and have my dc put them in order.

The tests provide review questions related to previously covered material as well.

While I agree with the poster above who said described VP Bible as an academic program, reading the Bible stories has provided opportunities for us to discuss application questions as they come up, and the Vos Story Bible lends itself particularly well to this.

I think VP is a very good Bible program.

If you're undecided, the Christian Studies Program by Memoria Press is also very good. It doesnt have the memory songs, cards, or projects, but the discussion questions are excellent, imo.

While the questions in VP tend to be strictly factual, the questions in CS invite discussion about Biblical characters and their underlying motives, as well as some of the consequences of their actions. CS also includes map work and time line activities, as well as quizzes and activities to facilitate review after every 5th chapter.

I found myself torn while using VP this year with my dc; the questions on the tests are generally the same as those on the on the worksheets and my dc found that doing both was too repiticious. Since they were already very familiar with most of the Bible stories we covered this year (Genesis to Joshua), I felt the need to add something more to our studies.

CS was recommended here, and I found a used copy of the TM on the S&S board, which I have recently added to see how that will work out. I may decide that combining both programs will be too much, but I don't have enough experience with it to say at this point. I know that others here are using the VP cards and memory song along with CS, and it seems the two will work well together.

Both programs are very good, however, imo. I hope you will find the right program for you and for your dc :)