Menu

Spelling and Vocabulary advice?!

This will be my 6th graders first year homeschooling....We are using Sonlight Core 5 for history and writing, Hake Grammar, Earth Science, Saxon math 7/6, typing, spanish, art, music, and now I'm not certain about spelling. She is a strong speller....top 5 in the county in the Spelling Bee this past year.....I would like something independent for her. I will have a 3rd and k'er at home as well.

So, I've actually bought the spelling power but returned that b/c we weren't crazy about the setup....I do have a Spectrum Phonics & Word Study workbook....Would this be okay to give her instead of a spelling program?

It does cover phonics skills, comprehension, dictionary skills...etc. but it is not set up with weekly words. I was also looking at Spelling Workout which is set up with weekly words.....she does not mind the workbooks.

Any opinions on what you would do in my shoes would be great!!

Thank you WTM users for all the advice and reassuring words to help me along this path of homeschooling!!

A: dd 6th grade

B: dd 3rd grade

S: ds kindergarten

As someone who was a strong natural speller myself, I would advise you not to go with a spelling curriculum for your daughter since she's already in middle school. Instead, I'd go with checking her compositions for the words she does misspell and working on those with her. You could also go through the lists of "most misspelled words" with her (there are several of these floating around the internet). Our Spelling Bee had lists to study--if you have any of those from last year, you could work through them orally "Spelling Bee style" and only have her practice writing out the ones she misses.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say that I don't know that a formal spelling "program" will really help for a good natural speller in sixth grade, particularly if it's set for her grade level. Now, vocabulary--particularly one that traces the etymology of words to get a better understanding of why certain words are made the way they are--can be very useful.

On the other hand, I've never actually taught a strong-at-spelling sixth grader, so I don't have any practical advice for you from the teacher's side of things. I just remember hating spelling (and vocabulary, too, actually) because not only was it boring but I'd learned all the words long ago.

I was a strong natural speller. I was able to usually reproduce what I read accurately. But then I just stalled out, and went no further. I would look at rules based curricula.

I have wasted quite a bit of money on programs that just do not get done. They are not as efficient and as user friendly as I need them to be.

Right now I am looking at Rod and Staff grade 6 and at Apples. I think I'm going to go with Apples.

http://www.christianbook.com/apples-daily-spelling-drills-secondary-students/susan-kemmerer/9780975854303/pd/727011?item_code=WW&netp_id=267934&event=ESRCN&view=details

I know that there's a computer program for spelling bee contenders...I can't remember the name of it right now. Have you checked on the Scripps site? I don't think most regular homeschool curricula are going to be geared for someone at your daughter's level.

Merry :-)