Menu

family stories

I read something on here that made me think of a family story about my uncle. He's in his 70's now, so this was a long time ago. When he was a baby, he said mama one day and everyone was excited that he said mama. After he said it that one time, he wouldn't say it again. He didn't say another word until he was 3 years old. (I know if that happened today people would be really concerned. I don't know what they thought about it back then.) But to this day if anyone says anything to him about it, he just shrugs and says, "I didn't have anything to say." :tongue_smilie:

Have any funny family stories?

When I was a young girl, of maybe 9 or 10 or so, I remember finding out that my sister (who is 15 years older than me) had a different father and was therefore only my "half-sister."

That was mind boggling to me. And a little upsetting. HALF-sister? Was that as good as a REAL sister?

The next time I saw my sister, I said to her: "Is it true that you're only my half sister?"

She just smiled and asked, "Well, which half of me don't you want?"

I smiled, too, and I never thought of her that way again. :)

I read something on here that made me think of a family story about my uncle. He's in his 70's now, so this was a long time ago. When he was a baby, he said mama one day and everyone was excited that he said mama. After he said it that one time, he wouldn't say it again. He didn't say another word until he was 3 years old. (I know if that happened today people would be really concerned. I don't know what they thought about it back then.) But to this day if anyone says anything to him about it, he just shrugs and says, "I didn't have anything to say." :tongue_smilie: Have any funny family stories?

I have one that's a bit similar to this! When my oldest was about sixteen months, she called her Uncle Jeff by name for the first time, and he and my sister got all excited and startled her, lol. She didn't stop talking, but she refused to address him directly again, he was so sad about it. Finally, we convinced her that no one would shriek with excitement if she would just try calling him "Uncle," and he remains just plain Uncle to this day.

DH's mother has told me this story several times: When DH was a toddler, he was standing beside a coffee table, banging some toys on it. His mother said "Knock it off." So with a sweeping gesture, he knocked everything from the coffee table onto the floor. :D