Menu

Ds is starting 9th grade this fall, and we really need to focus on writing. We worked thorugh Windows to the World this past year. It was a fabulous program, but he still struggles with writing, requiring mutilple drafts per paper and working at a very slow pace. He is very bright, but dislikes writing (and writing is NOT my strength).

I have Lively Art of Writing, Art of Argument, and Rhetorical Devices, as well IEW's Elegant Essay. I was planning on using these this school year, but now I am wondering if he should take an outside class. I really only need the writing component, as his grammar and vocabualry are excellent (we just received his ACT scores and he scored a 35 on the English section). I thought about using Write At Home as I have seen good reviews on these boards. So I thought we could:

1) Go ahead and use the above books mixed with the TOG assignments (we will be doing Year 1 this coming year) and do the pay for paper option with Write At Home.

2) Have ds do a full course with Write At Home

OR

3) Any other suggestions?

We have used IEW a great deal up to this point, and I just feel like he needs more :tongue_smilie:. Thank you in advance!!

Ds is starting 9th grade this fall, and we really need to focus on writing. We worked thorugh Windows to the World this past year. It was a fabulous program, but he still struggles with writing, requiring mutilple drafts per paper and working at a very slow pace. He is very bright, but dislikes writing (and writing is NOT my strength).

I have Lively Art of Writing, Art of Argument, and Rhetorical Devices, as well IEW's Elegant Essay. I was planning on using these this school year, but now I am wondering if he should take an outside class. I really only need the writing component, as his grammar and vocabualry are excellent (we just received his ACT scores and he scored a 35 on the English section). I thought about using Write At Home as I have seen good reviews on these boards. So I thought we could:

1) Go ahead and use the above books mixed with the TOG assignments (we will be doing Year 1 this coming year) and do the pay for paper option with Write At Home.

2) Have ds do a full course with Write At Home

OR

3) Any other suggestions?

We have used IEW a great deal up to this point, and I just feel like he needs more :tongue_smilie:. Thank you in advance!!

Maybe more fluency with writing will come with more doing. I don't think it is unusual to need multiple drafts for something. I think that is rather normal.

Is a slow pace needing several days for a paragraph or needing several hours for an essay?

Maybe just a lot more practice with writing paragraphs several times a week and multiple paragraph pieces a couple times a month.

Is a slow pace needing several days for a paragraph or needing several hours for an essay?

Several days for an essay, but then major revising needed. Maybe this is just typical for this age :confused:. I like the idea of writing more paragraphs per week. He will definately be doing this with TOG :D. I just have no confidence in my ability to teach writing.

Several days for an essay, but then major revising needed. Maybe this is just typical for this age :confused:. I like the idea of writing more paragraphs per week. He will definately be doing this with TOG :D. I just have no confidence in my ability to teach writing.

This may sound like an odd suggestion for high school, but have you looked at the samples for Writing with Skill? Even though the first level is intended for use after Writing with Ease 4, I think if a student hasn't yet mastered the skills of outlining and then writing something in his own words, that there is a lot of benefit to using it.

It is a little different from IEW in that it doesn't emphasize the three key word outline. And I found the instruction was just a little more overt than IEW was. (NB: I'm an IEW dropout and struggled to make that program work for me. I felt like I was spending too much time developing paragraphs that were ready to outline.) I also liked that early lessons included practice on picking what parts of an outline not to include in the final narrative. I'm not suggesting that its a high school level writing book, but it might be a good tool to get him up to high school level writing. Or at least get him proficient and fast enough that you can work on high school level writing.

Another technique I've heard of is not to try to get the perfect essay. Rather, have them write a first draft, then a revision. Then set it aside. When they have covered a new skill (for ex. active vs passive voice, transitions, showing not telling) pull out an old essay and have them revise it.

Not every essay has to be perfectly perfect. There is a progression of getting better over time.

My oldest is now an 8th grader. We made writing a major focus this year, with lots of assignments. The first examples were horribly painful. But it did get better with lots of practice.

(NB: I was a Writing with Skill beta tester. Now I'm a huge fan of it, because I think it was a significant part of my sons' writing improvement.)

How about Write Source? I have looked at the examples on Rainbow Resources and have fallen in love. It breaks the whole writing process down into steps with assignments directed toward the student. The teacher's book gives lots of suggestions on how to introduce the topic, ideas, what to look for in writing, and suggestions.

Another technique I've heard of is not to try to get the perfect essay. Rather, have them write a first draft, then a revision. Then set it aside. When they have covered a new skill (for ex. active vs passive voice, transitions, showing not telling) pull out an old essay and have them revise it.

Not every essay has to be perfectly perfect. There is a progression of getting better over time.

I think this is my problem! Because he is so above level in reading, math, and science I think maybe I expect too much out of him :tongue_smilie:. I know it is a process, but maybe I am expecting too much early on. His papers are always organized well (for the most part). Perhaps Lively Art of Writing will help with style :confused:.

A big thank you for suggesting Writing with Skill. I do think this may be a little below where ds is, but I would love this for dd!!

How about Write Source?

I do own this as well....just forgot about it :lol:.

My ds is a natural creative writer with fabulous style but it does not translate into academic writing. He just doesn't care and does not take the time to go through the steps to create a great essay or report. IEW has been wonderful but doesn't force him enough to go through the writing steps.

I feel Write Source is so systematic in each step it will force him to slow down and think about why and how he is completing each step as well as help with some grammar issues before continuing on with IEW.

For style techniques I am looking at The Writer's Workshop, The Art of Styling Sentences, and The Lively Art of Writing for after we finish Write Source Grade 10.

I think this is my problem! Because he is so above level in reading, math, and science I think maybe I expect too much out of him :tongue_smilie:. I know it is a process, but maybe I am expecting too much early on. His papers are always organized well (for the most part). Perhaps Lively Art of Writing will help with style :confused:.

A big thank you for suggesting Writing with Skill. I do think this may be a little below where ds is, but I would love this for dd!!

I do own this as well....just forgot about it :lol:.

Maybe it's worth writing up a rubric or two ahead of time. That might allow you to focus on the organization, flow, style and mechanics of the writing.

And if you've shared the rubric ahead of time, it can serve as a self editing checklist.

I have done a lot of writing and sometimes it's hard for me to rest when something my kids have done is "good enough".