Menu

What book(s) do you regret reading in your youth?

Here's a new one... I was raised by my Grandmother in a small town in the South. During the summers, she would drop me off at the local library while she would shop and go on errands. All the librarians knew me and it was pretty safe back then.

When I was around 11 to 12, I would sneak out of the tiny children's section and into the big adult library. That summer I read pretty much the entire Ian Fleming - "James Bond" selection they had there.

Needless to say, when my Southern Baptist Grandmother finally found out, she was not pleased. I would just skip over all the "Bond and his latest girl stuff" to get to the spy stuff, but I don't think my Grandmother was convinced.

I sure wouldn't want my little girl reading these at 11 or 12.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mom inheirited a couple of boxes of of romance novels from my aunt. Some were relatively harmless, but some were a little more risque, some were downright erotica. I was in my teens and I SO regret my mom bringing those into the house. Of course, there was also the Judy Blume books.

And a funny one on the horror, scary side....I do not remember which book I was reading, but I was babysitting one night in the early spring. I was tearing through this scary book and there was a window open upstairs. The wind caught the bedroom door and it slammed shut. I froze. I mean I. Was. Frozen. After about 5 minutes I called the neighbor, who came over in his pajama's and checked out the house (he was a friend's dad, so it wasn't as bad as it sounds). I still read horror/mystery/crime nowadays. But I avoid the ones that step into the occult side.