Menu

what do I really need to purchase for BJU life science??

I taught it without DVDS, too.

IMHO, you need the Teacher's Edition (comes with CD), the Student Text, the tests, and the test key. All of these items are included in the "subject kit".

When this comes, you can look through the TE and determine what labs you want to complete. Then order your lab supplies for just those labs (instead of ordering a complete lab kit).

You DO NOT need the activity manual at this point. It is included in the student text. If you reuse the student text with another student, then you can just order the activity manual to replace what your first student had used.

HTH!

Jetta

I will be using this with 2 students at the same time, so I would need to order 1 activity book?

Hmmm...maybe. Or you might want to order TWO student texts. I think this is what I would do. Whether you are discussing the material in the "text" part of the book OR working on labs or exercises in the "activity" part of the book, they would each have their own copy to follow along and write in. Seems like it would be worth the $ to me. BJU even notes that they intend for the books to be written in, highlighted, marked, etc. They intend for the kids to learn to study from a text by making that text their own. Does this make sense?

If you just ordered an extra activity manual, then your students would still have to share the student text to read and study the actual material. Would this work...or would this create a headache?

also, I read somewhere that it was recommended to buy the Lab DVD? any thoughts on that one?

We didn't use the Lab DVD. I wanted to do the labs at home with my son actually learning to use equipment and getting his hands "dirty". LOL! But I know a lot of people use the lab dvd and speak highly of it. Maybe someone else will chime in.

By the way, we had an interesting thread a few days ago about the insect collection that is suggested in BJU's Life Science. You might want to take a look at that thread...the insect info comes near the end, I think.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279787