Menu

Preparedness, lds...others...questions

I'm LDS, but I'm not as knowledgeable about food storage as I am about some other things. Like a lot of household related "stuff" around here lately it's kind of taken a back burner to figuring out how to help my kids get through life with their individual challenges. With special needs issues getting increasingly stable and manageable lately food storage is one of the areas I've been thinking I need to rework, but I haven't done much about it yet other than put it on my mental back-burner list. So I don't know much about web sites. One lady I know locally once recommended bulkfoods.com as a source for storable foods in bulk quantities, and the two orders I've placed there have been good experiences with no problems, so I'd recommend them on that basis. But I haven't even gone looking for websites specifically about food storage. Good luck, though, and maybe some of the other ladies here will have some good suggestions. :)

Do you have a cannery near you? Non-members can use them. I've only used equipment rented from a cannery, not the cannery itself, but you can wet-pack or dry-pack food storage, and I thiiiiink you can buy a lot of things they can there as well. Here's a site to find one near you: http://www.providentliving.org/location/map/0,12566,2026-1-4,00.html

I am not LDS, either, but I enjoy canning and dehydrating. Our local cooperative extension center has a "Master Canning" class going on today and tomorrow. Maybe you can find something similiar where you live.

You should also check out bountifulbaskets.org. Depending on where you live, there may be a site close by you. It is a wonderful co-op that you don't have to commit to buying every week - just when you want to. Many sites also have add-ons, i.e. cases of peaches, green beans, apples, pickling cucumbers, etc. You order your "basket" on Monday and pick it up on Saturday. Bountiful Baskets is growing, so keep an eye out for it if it has not already reached your area.

A friend of mine gave me the Ball book of Canning for my birthday, and it has tons of great information. Pickyourown.org is a website that I use often, too.