Menu

BJU science life vs earth/space

My ds just finished life science as a 7th grader and I have taught earth and space at our co-op for several years. I will say the earth and space curriculum is more difficult than the life science. There is more material and the question require a higher level of thinking. Most of the life science questions my ds answered could be done in a single sentence. That isn't the case with the space and earth. I would say an 8th grader could handle the course. In my case it would have taken help from me (above and beyond what I did for him in life science).

HTH

Hmm...that is interesting. Now I'm not sure what to do...

What about the DVDs? Can anyone give me some feedback on those? Do you feel like they really added a lot to the course? Are they the same length in both programs? I thought I heard they were about 30 min each day. What happens each day on the DVD-just a lecture over the material or what?

Thanks!

Hmmm...we didn't use the teaching DVDs so I can't help you there. I do know that there are lab DVDS that show some of the labs, but we haven't used those, either.

But I did see a nice "step-up" from Life to Earth. Not huge...but definitely noticeable. More text, more in-depth review questions, more vocabulary, more details in the Earth text. And the tests for Earth were certainly more difficult than those for Life Science. More open-ended questions and more diagrams to analyze (some of which were new to the student on the test..in other words, not in the book. He or she has to actually analyze the diagram as part of the testing process. I was VERY pleased with this aspect of the tests...great practice for standardized tests).

Anyway, I do think they can be done out of order especially if your student has had some exposure to science texts before...and is a relatively strong science student. Just be aware of what you are tackling. Otherwise, I think I would recommend starting with Life.