Menu

Science credit question

For a non-science oriented student, is Earth Science (9th grade), Basic Physics (10th grade) & Biology (11th grade) enough for most colleges? If a science is taken in 12th grade, must it be Chemistry or could it be just a valid to take a specialized/in depth course like Zoology or Astronomy? Thanks for the input!

It depends on the college. For competitive schools (all that I am considering, besides conservatories, which are totally different), I think you generally need one year each of the three basic foundational sciences: physics, biology, and chemistry. Plus, perhaps one more year of any science (geology, environmental, advanced/AP of the three basics, etc).

For my kids, I'll make sure they have their three basics PLUS at least one more year of an additional science. That should cover the requirements anywhere, I think.

So, I'd say you really need to add a chemistry year for sure. (And, I'm assuming that your "Basic Biology" is a high school level biology.)

What are the students goals? What types of colleges are they looking at? Does your state have any requirements for homeschoolers?

It seems like every list I see has "a life science, a chemistry, and a physcial science," but if you ahe a specific college in mind, I would check whether they require that or not.

Most colleges (4 year) nowadays want to see 4 years of science for incoming freshmen applicants. If you are considering a community college, no need to do a 4th year as a senior if the student is not science major in college.

There are many options for the 4th year of science. Even Chemistry for the math-challenged. HTH

For a non-science oriented student, is Earth Science (9th grade), Basic Physics (10th grade) & Biology (11th grade) enough for most colleges? If a science is taken in 12th grade, must it be Chemistry or could it be just a valid to take a specialized/in depth course like Zoology or Astronomy? Thanks for the input!

It just really depends on the college. If you are looking for Ivies---well...no. Your science line-up won't fly. But for most colleges, or a CC, it's more than likely just fine. You DON'T have to rule out a 4-year if your student is not interested in the standard 4-year HS science rotation. ;)