Menu

Another traveling abroad question regarding purses/backpacks, especially in Turkey.

I was planning on bringing a backpack for my onshore excursion part of my Mediterranean cruise (man, I'm SO not well-traveled!). Should I, or does it mark me even more as a tourist? I was thinking that it would be handy for purchases, but maybe I should just bring my purse (like a mail-bag type with a zipper...large enough to hold my camera, wallet, etc).

We're going to spend time at The Grand Bazaar in Istanbul. What are your thoughts about the purse/backpack there? Also, if you've been, do you have any bartering tips? What kind of discount should I expect if I'm good at bartering (not saying I'm good, but I LOVE garage saleing!!!)?

Thanks! :D

Just do what's convenient for you. If you don't have your backpack, you'll be able to carry your stuff in the shopping bags they give you. You might want to take a few large, sturdy plastic bags though, just in case you end up with the flimsy plastic bags.

Bargain away. Because they'll know you're a tourist, and a temporary one at that, you're unlikely to get any great deals, but just don't pay the first asking price. And don't shop when you're rushed, if possible.

It is big enough for our camera, water bottle, umbrella, sunscreen, tour books, etc.

We carry money in a money pouch underneath dh's shirt.

The advantage of a messenger bag versus a backpack: The backpack is out of your sight (because it is behind you). Our messenger has a long strap that we put over our head and shoulder (across the chest), and then we can wrap our arm around it. No sneaking hands (although we did have someone try on a crowded bus in Athens) can reach in. We also were able to stand face to face on crowded subways, with the bag in between us.

Anything you carry in a daypack/bag has to be something you are willing to lose. So only carry a limited amount of cash in a wallet or pocket. Then I would keep the camera as close to me as possible. Use a daypack or whatever you prefer for the non-valuable items, and enjoy your trip!

I like a bigger purse, but I always get stuck carrying a purse. However, even the manly teenager types feel okay carrying a backpack.

Carrry your cards and wallet in a money belt.

As for bargaining....we hold out the amount we are willing to spend on an item (or a bit less--you can always add a bit) and just wait. Often we do not make eye contact while we wait.....and wait....eventually the lure of *cash* is too much for many vendors and they will take the deal.

This is easy enough that we taught our nine year old son how to do it in Italy.

Be willing to walk away, if the vendor follows you, you know he is willing to deal more....that happened to my husband in Greece. I have a very nice tablecloth out of that deal.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Be friendly, smile, be fair. Help them know Americans are nice people at heart. Edited to add: Oops I just noticed you are Canadian...make sure they know NOrth Americans are nice people. LOL!

Did I mention to have FUN!