Menu

Hard Boiled Eggs ~ shells sticking

I don't often have this problem, but I don't know if it's the technique or not. I've heard that eggs that are a little older don't stick as much, but I'm guessing that grocery store eggs are all old enough. This is how I do it. I usually get eggs from a friend with chickens, so I like to let them sit in the fridge for a week if I plan to make hard-boiled eggs.

Start with cold water, just enough to cover eggs in a single layer. Turn up to high, cover eggs, set timer to 14 minutes, and bring to boil. Turn down just enough so that it doesn't boil over. When the timer goes off, lift the eggs out and put them immediately into ice water until cool.

Is your method different?

Use eggs that are not fresh. The fresher they are the harder they are to peel. If you are not sure you can leave them on the counter for a day before you boil them.....I heard from a good source that one day on the counter is equal to one week in the frdge.

Also, salt your water (I never have but I heard it helps.) And cool them down fast and completely before you start to peel them. Look up the times needed if you want eggs without the green ring around the yolk. I can never remember but the right time is crucial for that.

I am a swim mom and I have made a ton of boiled eggs for the meets. :)

Good luck!

I don't often have this problem, but I don't know if it's the technique or not. I've heard that eggs that are a little older don't stick as much, but I'm guessing that grocery store eggs are all old enough. This is how I do it. I usually get eggs from a friend with chickens, so I like to let them sit in the fridge for a week if I plan to make hard-boiled eggs.

Start with cold water, just enough to cover eggs in a single layer. Turn up to high, cover eggs, set timer to 14 minutes, and bring to boil. Turn down just enough so that it doesn't boil over. When the timer goes off, lift the eggs out and put them immediately into ice water until cool.

Is your method different?

I cook mine the same way, except I turn the heat off completely for the 15 minute cooking time with the lid on.

Sometimes it helps to peel them under cold running water. But the real difference is the age of the eggs. Fresh eggs just don't peel easily.

Thank you! Maybe it's that they're too fresh. I will try the counter thing and salted water. I have one of those acrylic egg timers (Egg-Perfect) that you pop in the water, so as soon as it tells me they're done I put them in ice water. I have had perfect yolks with this little gadget, never a green rim. :D

Thank you, I will try those methods suggested! :001_smile:

I heard this from a friend of mine who has chickens and eats eggs often. If you give the fresh eggs a gentle tap on the countertop, on the bottom or fatter side of the egg, and then place into the water, they will not stick. I personally have not tried it, but I will the next time I make deviled eggs.

I put a tiny hole in each egg (thumbtack) asnd add some vinegar to the water. It doesn't affect the taste of the egg.

This guys blow them out. I have no idea if it would work. Course you couldn't do it if you were giving the eggs to someone else - who wants their eggs blown on. But if it were me eating it.... I might would give it a whirl

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2008/07/02/how-to-peel-hard-boiled-eggs-without-peeling/