Menu

When to Start Grammer

mommyto2

We used Hooked on Phonics for our now first grader to learn to read with. (She is reading on a 3rd grade level now.) When do you normally start some sort of formal grammar? I guess I was so concerned about reading that I forgot about grammar...

I'd start now. FLL lessons is gentle but provides a strong foundation. We've moved through part one and two and we're within ten lessons of finishing book three. The same concepts reappear and new information builds out on the old.

Scripted and just three days a week. Easy peasy.

:iagree: with the poster who said to start now. She's reading well, so the next step is good grammar, spelling and writing. FWIW, we are using Jolly Grammar. It's less scripted and repetitive, plus Ariel likes to color the pictures in her free time.

I think third grade is fine. I started my dd in second grade with a free vintage grammar book from Google books. She loved it and did well. In third grade we used Firs Language Lessons 3. It basically repeated everything she learned in 2nd grade.

I started using FLL 1 with my second-grade son because he has language issues and I thought that early exposure would help him, but I don't think he's retained much from it. He's going into 3rd and we're still plowing through FLL 2.

Personally, I think kids should be reading and writing well before you need to worry about grammar.

Tara