Menu

mathpath?

Anyone else have kids going to mathpath this year? My son is leaving on Sunday and I am getting the "oh my goodness I am putting my child on an airplane to travel across the country for a month" jitters. It's his first time at math camp. (but more important MY first time sending a child away for such a long time/distance).

Any rave review about how wonderful the camp is are welcome. My son is thrilled and excited. But me, I am just trying to pretend not to be anxious. Gosh parenting is not for the feint of heart.

Rave reviews here! Both of my kids are MathPath alums, & my son even went the very first summer in 2002. Talk about a frightened mom...I even flew out to South Dakota with him that summer and stayed a few days till I was reassured that it was all OK. It was my first time sending a kid away cross-country for a month, too (outside of visiting relatives). He *loved* it, & it turned out to be a terrific experience for him both academically and socially. He's 23 now and some of those kids from MathPath are still friends. My daughter couldn't wait for her turn, and she absolutely enjoyed every minute there (UC Santa Cruz her year - a beautiful setting) and was sad when it ended. Both went on to go to Canada/USA Mathcamp in their high school years.

Anyway, to the point: My daughter is also leaving for MathPath in Colorado Springs! She's leaving tomorrow since she's a counselor this year. I asked, and she gave me permission to tell you to let your son know that Laura was also a WTM homeschooler. Who knows, she may even have your son in her counselor group (she doesn't have the list yet!)

And...I'll be at MathPath for the closing days of camp in August, as I'm involved in running Epsilon camp, MP's new little sister camp. I've worked with Dr. Thomas (same one who runs MP) for a while now, and he's wonderful with kids. You really have nothing to worry about; your son will be in good hands!

Here's to a great summer.:D

ETA: My daughter is one of the counselors in charge of airport arrivals, so she may well be the one who welcomes him when he arrives in Colorado on Sunday!

Edited by Kathy in Richmond

Another rave review here :).

My son spent the last two summers at MP and would probably wear the t-shirt every day if I'd let him. It truly was the best part of his year. The teachers and counselors take excellent care of the kids; of course you'll worry, but he'll be well looked after.

Feel free to PM me if I can answer any specific questions (though Kathy has ten times the experience I have and has graciously been mentoring me through my son's current summer!).

Your son will love MathPath. Have a great summer.

One more thank you. I really needed to hear your positive comments. Just wanted to update you both that I heard from my son and he's healthy and happy and seems to be having a great time. I figured he would but the wait before camp seemed like that feeling when you have boarded a roller coaster and it hasn't started yet. Sometimes the wait is the worst part.

One more thank you. I really needed to hear your positive comments. Just wanted to update you both that I heard from my son and he's healthy and happy and seems to be having a great time. I figured he would but the wait before camp seemed like that feeling when you have boarded a roller coaster and it hasn't started yet. Sometimes the wait is the worst part.

Glad to hear that all is well so far & that he's enjoying himself! I impressed upon my daughter the importance of reminding her counselor group to call home often.:) They can get carried away with having a great time and being busy and forget that their moms and dads would love to hear from them occasionally. Now if only *my* kid would follow that advice - I haven't heard from her since the campers arrived at MP on Sunday!

• 1 month later...

It rocked!

My son loved it and wants to return next year. It was an outstanding experience for him both mathematically and socially. They do a tremendous job.

Thanks for the kind words as he was about to leave. It's so hard to put a child on an airplane. It will be way easier the second time around.

My daughter had a blast as a MathPath counselor and also as (the only) Epsilon counselor this summer. She plans to return & do the same next year.

I've never worked so hard or had so much satisfaction as I did in the last two and a half weeks as one of the directors of Epsilon. Sure, we had a learning curve with the younger age group and concurrent parent program, but we all agreed that it was a resounding success. The children surpassed my expectations on every count.

We're still here on campus packing up and finalizing stuff today, and also starting to pre-plan for an expanded camp next summer. :)

Home tomorrow for the two of us!:D