Menu

I started using it with my then 9th and 7th graders.

Yes, it is definitely high school worthy and was really a stretch for my 7th grader. The discussion is Socratic so you can take it at the level of your student, whatever that is. I found the writing assignments to have sufficient explanation although others prefer something more comprehensive.

There are primary readings, generally written in the time period under study, and secondary readings, usually more modern and lighter. I have been very impressed by how the secondary readings help to clarify the ideas being considered in the primary readings. If you do all the readings it is considered 3 credits: Literature, History and Theology.

There have been quite a few discussions on this board about Omnibus, you should be able to find more info there.

HTH

There are many writing assignments in Omnibus - for us, they are under the "pick-and-choose" category. Some will be assigned for writing, others we'll just discuss. They don't give writing instruction though (i.e. "How To Write an Essay") There are a few progymnasmata exercises with brief explanation - the teacher's CD gives a full example of how one might look, but generally I think they'd be easy enough to figure out, especially for a high schooler. In fact, the teacher's CD gives possible essay examples for all the writing assignments, and that is very helpful.