Menu

Duke Tip/Hopkins CTY advantages/benefits?

I just came across the guidelines for Duke Talent Search and noticed my 9 yo ds who finished up 4th grade will be eligible. The fee wasn't a big deal I'm just wondering does it open doors or what "real" benefits does it provide? Do people apply to all the "gifted" programs in order to be registered with them?

I have to say I was hesitant as doing anything "formally" gifted as when he was tested at the end of KG he didn't make the cutoff but we just went on and skipped a grade and have tried to keep him challenged at home. But now as we're getting into 5th I'm thinking of long term opportunities. However I don't want to set up unrealistic expectations and frankly is it better to be labeled as gifted for a particular grade or just work a year ahead and skip if you need to?

I have a second grader ds who's also looking into the same realm should I be more proactive and look into these programs earlier?

Thanks,

It is nice that you can take the Explore test with them...then starting in 7th they can sign up for SAT each year.

They also have a few online classes that are free that you just read on your own. They do have a few classes you can pay for. We haven't taken them because they are expensive.