Menu

Washington DC area hotel questions

We are planning a trip for this Fall and have started researching hotels in the D.C. area. One question I have is, if we are looking in the surrounding areas are there any areas we should stay away from? We have been looking online but not knowing the area, I don't want to find one and then discover it's a horrible location!

Our wish list for a hotel is:

- One room for 6 of us. We could possibly do two rooms if the price is under $100/night.

- If we can find one room for all of us, I'd like to keep it under $175/night.

- Close to a metro station

- Free breakfast

- Free parking

We usually stay at the Homewood Suites in Falls Church, VA. It's close to a train station and offers a free shuttle to and from (but I think it takes 30 minutes to get to downtown DC on the train). They have 1 bedroom suites (separate bedroom) that sleep 6 (2 double beds in bedroom, 1 sofabed in living room) with an indoor pool and fully equipped kitchen. They also have a full free breakfast everyday and "snack" (a light dinner) on M-Th. If you stay on Fri, Sat, or Sunday, the rates are around $100 but can go up to $250 on M-Th.

HTH!

We'll be going to Washington DC on Friday, and will be staying at the Double Tree Hotel

The metro is right next to hotel and has shuttle busing to the Pentagon Mall. Its also right across the street from the Pentagon, Marine Core Memorial, Arlington national Cemetary, The Potomac River, The Smithsonian, actually just about everything within a 3 mile radius.

We haven't been there yet but have heard things are pretty accessible there and safe.

Doubletree Hotel - Crystal City

300 Army Nave Drive

Arlington, VA 22202

1-701-416-4100

We stayed at the Capital Suites Georgetown 2 years ago when we went up. We had a family suite that had a bedroom with 2 queen beds and a living room with a pull out couch. It also had a full kitchen, and I mean full, full size fridge and stove, with dishes, pots, pans the whole lot. It was a 2-3 block walk to the George Washington University metro stop (the hotel is a block from the university hospital) and the neighborhood seemed clean and safe. We didn't feel it was dangerous even walking back from the metro at 10pm. It doesn't offer free breakfast, but there was also a Trader Joe's across the street which made the kitchen and breakfast easy.

I haven't stayed there, but I've seen the Hotel Harrington recommended many times. A friend of mine stayed there and I know she recommends it.

We stayed at the Hotel Harringon and had a large family room. It was actually two connected rooms. It had two bathrooms and two TVs. One room had a bed for us. I think it was a queen. Sorry. The other room had a full or queen and a twin. We paid around $175 per night, I think. It doesn't have free breakfast, but we had a fridge. We just stocked up on breakfast food. We bought a $10 toaster after we flew in and used it for our two week trip. We like bagels and toast!

The location was amazing! The hotel is older, but we really liked it.