Menu

Singapore DM and Lial's together???

Has anyone ever used these two together??? I know they are both stand alone, and follow different sequences... BUT :lol:

DS is mathy... he gets it... quickly, etc. However, I am wondering as we get into more advanced math, would it be wise to use one or the other as the 'spine' for math and the other to supplement as needed... whether it be to challenge more where needed or slow down and explain more as needed...??? Anyone ever do this? or am I just completely losing it??? Either way... I'm fine with, but if I'm losing it, just tell me! LOL :lol:

Thoughts??? :bigear:

I had one dd do Singapore DM this year and the other Lial's (twins, so same age/grade).

With a mathy kid who gets it, I'd do the DM and not bother with Lial's. My dd who was doing DM at one point during a tough problem set said "can't I do easy math like my sister?". :tongue_smilie: I mean, I suppose you could do it as a "break", but for us it was enough to get through the DM without heaping on random feel-good practice.

Matroyshka, that does make sense, thank you. I suppose I just worry about hitting a point where he doesn't get something in Singapore DM... or if there are any 'holes' so to speak... sigh. Have you supplemented DM at all??? Or even with 5A/B or 6A/B??? I guess also I just want to make sure he is rock solid comfortable with math inside and out before we really dig deeper and further in. This is a kid that gets math, but I don't want to lose him once we get to the more complex problem sets in high maths if that makes sense. He wants to become an aeronautical/space engineer... and I just don't want to 'mess it up'... lol :lol:

Thanks Dawn. Sounds like I have hit my typical yearly worry for a couple weeks as I plan out the next year and stages... and that what I had originally decided is just fine, thus why I chose it to begin with. Why is it I get these silly panic maniacal modes of worrying it is never enough... UGH!

Thanks for keeping me straight ladies! :lol: