Menu

I got bit by something last night....

...on the top of my left hand, while coming in from the car. I had an armload and I assumed it was a mosquito bite. I woke up today and noticed that there is no welt or visible bite....but the entire top of my hand is swollen. It still is (it's 2 pm). It doesn't itch at all. I remember when my first child was young, she would really swell up with mosquito bites. The doctor said she was allergic to them (I would think this was a loose term meaning she just got big welts). Anyway...this never happened to me before. Kinda weird.

I've had that sort of thing happen a few times. In my cases, I'm pretty sure the bugs that bit me were no-see-ums, not mosquitos. Twice in one year, I got bit on the eyelid while sleeping and woke up with my eye swollen completely shut. Looked like someone had slugged me. Really fun.:tongue_smilie:

Years later, I got bit while fishing in Montana and my hand swelled up like I'd broken a bone. But not a lot of itching.

I kept ice on the swelling and took benadryl at night. The swelling goes down in a day or two. I figure I'm just unusually sensitive to those bugs. Regular mosquitos don't have that effect on me at all.

Hope you feel better soon.

I've had that sort of thing happen a few times. In my cases, I'm pretty sure the bugs that bit me were no-see-ums, not mosquitos. Twice in one year, I got bit on the eyelid while sleeping and woke up with my eye swollen completely shut. Looked like someone had slugged me. Really fun.:tongue_smilie:

Years later, I got bit while fishing in Montana and my hand swelled up like I'd broken a bone. But not a lot of itching.

I kept ice on the swelling and took benadryl at night. The swelling goes down in a day or two. I figure I'm just unusually sensitive to those bugs. Regular mosquitos don't have that effect on me at all.

Hope you feel better soon.

Hmmm...no-see-ums...that's possible. I was telling my mom about the little bugs we have here during the day. They bite my girl on the scalp, behind her ears, back of the neck. They leave a big nasty crusty blood spot (gross). When you wash or wipe the area it's just a teeny tiny bite. People here call them sand fleas. My mom said she used to call those no-see-ums. Now dd usually plays outside with a winter hat on to cover ears and everything (thankfully it hasn't been too hot here yet)! But, the bite on my hand didn't leave what they leave on my daughter. But, it's possible that's what it was. How awful to wake up with that swollen eye!

Your poor dd! Her bites sound a lot more like what I read are common no-see-um bites. But I know whatever it was that bit me wasn't a mosquito. They're too small. Maybe there's another bug, small like a no-see-um, but not a no-see-um?

Either way... it's a bummer when they bite and we swell up like balloons.

Your poor dd! Her bites sound a lot more like what I read are common no-see-um bites. But I know whatever it was that bit me wasn't a mosquito. They're too small. Maybe there's another bug, small like a no-see-um, but not a no-see-um?

Either way... it's a bummer when they bite and we swell up like balloons.

:iagree:

It is a bummer....and a mystery. I hate bugs! UGH! Well, as for me...the swelling must be going down a bit....I think before long the top of my left hand will look as boney as the top of my right hand. :D