Menu

Science For K?

pokegirl

Why what?

Why are you looking for a boxed curriculum in Science for K? Ease of use?

Personally, I found that science in K for my ds6 twins was easiest when conducted by a visit to the library or the used book store. But if you don't have a libary close I suppose that would be a good reason to use a boxed curriculum for K.

Edited by Critterfixer

As for the why boxed question- ease of use is definitely a factor. Also my ds does well with a mapped out curriculum. He's not happy when we just bounce around from idea to idea. Ideal for him is something that is spiral that has multiple grade levels available that we can use for a few years.

What about Nebel's Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding?

It gets great reviews, but is some work to pull together, which is why that is the one subject I passed off to DH. (Plus, I HATE science, and don't want to pass that hatred on to my kids!)

As for the why boxed question- ease of use is definitely a factor. Also my ds does well with a mapped out curriculum. He's not happy when we just bounce around from idea to idea. Ideal for him is something that is spiral that has multiple grade levels available that we can use for a few years.

Ah, I see. I was curious, because I haven't seen that many requests for K level science classes.

What about Nebel's Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding?

It gets great reviews, but is some work to pull together, which is why that is the one subject I passed off to DH. (Plus, I HATE science, and don't want to pass that hatred on to my kids!)

:iagree:

(Except I don't really hate science. But it's definitely not my favorite subject and it is one of my dh's.)

BFSU isn't boxed but I think it is a good fit for us and the author has a yahoo group for questions and suggestions. I really wouldn't spend tons of money for the K year. I'd focus more time and money on language arts and math. We did look at some boxed ones but for the K year, we invested more in other subjects.

Elemental Science also looks good to me, but I haven't used it. If I were on my own for teaching science, I also might be more inclined to get something like Nancy Larson.