Menu

Doing government in fall of 2012 to coincide with election?

I had been planning to do government in 11th or 12th grade, but it recently occurred to me that it might be good to do it in the first half of 2012-2013 school year (which will be 10th grade for my son), so we can include the debates and election coverage in our studies. Is anyone else planning to do government then?

I was thinking of following it with a semester of world geography, because even though we incorporate geography into history, I think a standalone course would be good.

So my plan would be:

9th World History

10th Government/World Geography

11th American History

12th Economics/history topic of ds's choosing

Any reason not to do government in 10th?

Wendi

I had the same thought, and similar plan. Although I'm doing a World History ancients through the Revolutions for 9th, then had recently thought I might do both U.S. History and U.S. Government in 10th (but it may be too much???), back to the second half of world history up through modern for 11th, and Econ and something else for 12th (semester each of something). I'm trying to track hours in geography over three years to make it a separate credit. I saw that suggested here on the boards by someone who seems to know a lot.

But I, too, would like to hear if Government would work in 10th.

I think it would be doable. This past year I had my 9th and 11th grader learning US Govt by reading primary source documents leading up to and through the ratification of the constitution. The previous year my then 10th grader learned a lot about the legislative branch, the executive branch, and separation of powers while preparing cases for debate. This coming year I'll have them follow the elections as well as select various Supreme Court cases for them to read to complete their study of US govt.

I had been planning to do government in 11th or 12th grade, but it recently occurred to me that it might be good to do it in the first half of 2012-2013 school year (which will be 10th grade for my son), so we can include the debates and election coverage in our studies. Is anyone else planning to do government then?

I was thinking of following it with a semester of world geography, because even though we incorporate geography into history, I think a standalone course would be good.

So my plan would be:

9th World History

10th Government/World Geography

11th American History

12th Economics/history topic of ds's choosing

Any reason not to do government in 10th?

Wendi

No advice here, but my dd is the same age and I think it's a magnificent idea. Unless someone can come up with a reason not to do it in that order, I would definately do it and probably will. :)

We are also doing Government in 10th grade to coincide with the elections. Seems like a great opportunity to me! Our plan is:

9th: World Geography

10th: US History & Government

11th and 12th: World History (Plus Economics & Philosophy)

We did candidate studies as part of our "Current Events" studies, which we did most days, every year. Each candidate was studied in depth, on an ongoing basis. This was my older son's first chance to vote, which really added interest to the study.

I plan to do that with my dd as well. I consider it to be separate, not part of the history cycle. We'll also apply some logic to the debates and speeches! ;)

This is what Abbeyej suggested (and my history-loving husband concurred) when I told her that I now had to completely re-do the plans for the upcoming year that I JUST created. So I'll do a government study over the next year and a half or so - nice and slow readings to fall in nicely with our CM leanings. Now I just have to decide if I want to use The Complete Idiot's Guide to American Government (as suggested in WTM) or Civics in America (suggested by Abbey).