Menu

campbell exploring life or miller/levine biology

okay, which one is the best for a great entry level bio course for 9th grade. was already to do the campbell, but now found out that its dated and the company is not updating it any longer. there is a big push for the miller/levine. is there a correct answer for this??? calling all "brains" on this one!!

angel

I have the Miller and Levine materials and they're really nice. I can't figure out how to get access to the biology.com website though, even though it supposedly comes with the textbook purchase (and you can buy it separately).

Now, I say they're really nice (meaning textbook, workbook, tests, and lab manual), but I haven't actually used them, so I don't really know.

We'll be using Campbell's Exploring Life. In fact, DD is already using the chapters on human anatomy and function as part of her Health credit. I wouldn't use a science book that is very old but this text was published in 2006, I think. Not too old.

Pegasus

3rd edition Concepts and Connections by Campbell et al.

Strongly preferred Campbell. I've complained in other posts about the ML text with "educationese" in boldly colored type distracting the reader from science content.

I'm all for highlighting, boldface, judicious use of different typefaces or colors, but only for content, not for drawing attention to mental processes like "drawing conclusions, analyzing graphs, etc."

I'm not sure where "the big push" you refer to is coming from. If it's the public school system, they may have different reasons for text adoption than you do. And, the reasons may have little to do with content.

FWIW, the big Campbell is the intro text for dd's freshman bio. class. The school is categorized as a "high research" univ. (I think there are 3 Campbells:Exploring Life, Concepts and Connections, and Biology. The latter is the college bio majors textbook.)

I don't think anyone else can pick for you. Each of these texts is different. I looked at Campbell's Exploring Life and found it to be almost exactly what BJU Life Science had covered in 7th grade. So for our Intro to Biology course, I chose between Campbell's Concepts and Connections and Miller Levine Biology. We like M/L Biology much better. For us we find it more readable, and I liked the presentation of the materials better (order they were presented, how things were grouped). I think this is a very personal decision though.

If your student hasn't covered the material in Exploring Life, it is a perfectly good choice. If you want a little more without being overwhelming, I think the Miller Levine text is more challenging, but not too much so. Concepts and Connections is definitely an honors level text and is a bit harder than M/L. Here M/L is used for both standard and honors Biology course the only thing that changes is the pace.

Last year dd and I had the chance to compare Campbell's Exploring Life and Miller/Levine side by side, and we both preferred Exploring Life. The content was comparable, but we found Campbell's explanations to be clearer. Also, Campell puts the sidebar topics into the internet/CD activities, thus streamlining the presentation in the book.

IMO, it's just a matter of which style of writing and presentation best suit your student.

3rd edition Concepts and Connections by Campbell et al.

Strongly preferred Campbell. I've complained in other posts about the ML text with "educationese" in boldly colored type distracting the reader from science content.

I'm all for highlighting, boldface, judicious use of different typefaces or colors, but only for content, not for drawing attention to mental processes like "drawing conclusions, analyzing graphs, etc."

I'm not sure where "the big push" you refer to is coming from. If it's the public school system, they may have different reasons for text adoption than you do. And, the reasons may have little to do with content.

FWIW, the big Campbell is the intro text for dd's freshman bio. class. The school is categorized as a "high research" univ. (I think there are 3 Campbells:Exploring Life, Concepts and Connections, and Biology. The latter is the college bio majors textbook.)

it looks like the publishers are not going to update any more high school campbell books and are putting all their marbles with the m/l books

I have the Miller and Levine materials and they're really nice. I can't figure out how to get access to the biology.com website though, even though it supposedly comes with the textbook purchase (and you can buy it separately).

Now, I say they're really nice (meaning textbook, workbook, tests, and lab manual), but I haven't actually used them, so I don't really know.

i think you have to do the teacher stuff on the publisher website to get access to the on-line things. you need to call them and tell them you are a homeschool teacher so you can get it all.

angel