Menu

OPGTR - how do grade levels correspond to lesson numbers?

MeganW

I know it doesn't matter, go at the child's pace, etc. etc., but in general, can you tell me around which lesson number a child who was reading at an ending-kindergarten level would be at, which lesson a child reading at an ending-first grade level would be at, etc.?

Also, I know I have seen this, but I have searched and searched. What lessons should you be at before starting spelling, FLL, & WWE?

THANKS!

The last question on the bottom answers about when to start spelling, etc.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/frequently-asked-questions?___store=default

I read on here before somewhere that around lesson 60 you have taught all the requirements of K and start 1st grade level material. Then by 120 they start 2nd grade level, etc. The end of the book ends with 4th grade level words.

Edited by Classically Minded

just have your child read lessons in the book until they are challenged. I don't think it corresponds to a 'grade' but rather a reading level. I start spelling after we are done with the last OPGTTR lesson and no sooner. My ds6.5 will finish the book by August (he's starting 1st grade). We will start Spelling Workout A at that time - he's ready for it now. He's reading very well.

I would not begin any spelling program until your child is reading well. Just my 2 cents.

I would wait for spelling until you are done with OPGTR.

I would start FLL whenever you'd like. I love FLL. But for the average kiddo, I'd just wait til the fall he's 6 to do it systematically.

WWE, I'd wait til solidly 1st grade level or the fall he's 6, whichever is later.

There are some kids who are way advanced. When your 4yr old is on a 4th grade level, you do things a little differently. But generally, I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to start everything outside of phonics.