Menu

Logic Stage Ancients List

I searched and could not find the answer to this question, so I apologize in advance if it has already been addressed previously.

We will be studying ancients this coming year so my 7th grader will be reading the ancients list. The instructions say to read the books in the order listed, but I notice there are 4 versions of the Iliad/Odyssey listed:

The Tale of Troy by Green

The Trojan Wars by Coolidge

The Children's Homer by Colm

Black Ships Before Troy by Sutcliff

Is she supposed to read each of these? Or are we supposed to pick one of them? Somehow, I own the first 3 and the last one is at the library, so we could read them all if that's what we're supposed to do, but it seems there is a lot of repetition. There seems to be a lot of repetition with Greek Myths as well. But that's Ok if that's what we're supposed to do. Just want to make sure! Thanks!

If you're talking about TWTM, it states (somewhere!) that one book about Troy should be read. Ds and I loved Black Ships Before Troy. He has gone on to read other Sutcliff books, and is a big fan.

Yes, it's the list in TWTM. Thanks! This list seems very different from the Early Modern and Modern lists that she's already done! I'm all confused!

My dc were already familiar with the stories via Grammar stage, so reading all the recommended versions would probably have bored them to tears. Ds read The Children's Homer which really covers the Odyssey. He read Black Ships for the Iliad.

I searched and could not find the answer to this question, so I apologize in advance if it has already been addressed previously.

We will be studying ancients this coming year so my 7th grader will be reading the ancients list. The instructions say to read the books in the order listed, but I notice there are 4 versions of the Iliad/Odyssey listed:

The Tale of Troy by Green

The Trojan Wars by Coolidge

The Children's Homer by Colm

Black Ships Before Troy by Sutcliff

Is she supposed to read each of these? Or are we supposed to pick one of them? Somehow, I own the first 3 and the last one is at the library, so we could read them all if that's what we're supposed to do, but it seems there is a lot of repetition. There seems to be a lot of repetition with Greek Myths as well. But that's Ok if that's what we're supposed to do. Just want to make sure! Thanks!

We are just wrapping up Ancients and have enjoyed listening to audio versions of the Iliad, Odyssey and the Aeneid (all from the Fagles translations). It really gives a different perspective. Our favorite was Derek Jacobi's performance of an abridged version of the Iliad. Ian McKellan did a good job of reading the Odyssey (unabridged), but didn't perform it as much as Jacobi did the Iliad. Right now, we're in the midst of Simon Callow reading the Aeneid (also unabridged) and it's our least favorite of the interpretations. I have to admit that my daughter is rather over "Dawn with her rose-red fingers......";), but it gave a good opportunity to point out ways that pieces designed for oral transmission (Iliad and Odyssey) differ from those that were designed for written transmission (Aeneid).

Do be aware this may not be the best option for everyone. I wouldn't have given them to her to read, but audio is a different matter for her. The pretty graphic depictions of war and some language would have been a bigger issue even last year for her, and I wouldn't show her movie with those images because she's more sensitive to visual material. Before we started, she was intimately familiar with most of the Greek mythology (and, to a lesser extent, the Roman) as well as many tales from the period (she's taken a medal in the National Mythology exam each year for three years now and the Greek myths and stories are common themes in our household). She's also accustomed to listening to more formal language (she enjoys watching Shakespeare's comedies performed). My husband and I have done a good bit of explanation and "translating" some of the stories into more modern terms as we listened. For instance, she rather enjoyed the image of Agamemnon and Achilles arguing and posturing like 12 year olds fighting over Pokemon cards;). Pointing out all the trouble Odysseus gets into because he can't keep his mouth shut and resist bragging was also fun.

For anyone, though, listening to a selection of Jacobi's performance, similar to seeing Shakespeare performed rather than reading it, can give kids a better understanding of why these tales were the ancient equivalent of best-selling action movies and TV---popular entertainment. We compared them to things like "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Thor."

Edited by KarenNC