Menu

Christian Kids Explore Science?

We have used Biology and I was pretty happy with it. I like the pick-up-and-go way it's set up. Not too technical or detailed but enough to give a good basic overview of biology - that's all I'm looking for. I will probably buy their physics when we get to that.

We used it with my 5th and 1st graders when I had a newborn and we were trying to sell our house and move, so my 5th grader read to my 1st grader and did most of the pencil work. My 1st grader mainly listened and colored the picture.

We have used Biology and I was pretty happy with it. I like the pick-up-and-go way it's set up. Not too technical or detailed but enough to give a good basic overview of biology - that's all I'm looking for. I will probably buy their physics when we get to that.

We used it with my 5th and 1st graders when I had a newborn and we were trying to sell our house and move, so my 5th grader read to my 1st grader and did most of the pencil work. My 1st grader mainly listened and colored the picture.

:iagree:

I have used Biology and Earth/Space. It was the perfect fit for us at that time (6th-7th and K-1st were the two years we used it). I have Apologia books in the house but they are not my favorite. Every one I try to use just seems like "too much." "Too much" of what I can never put my finger on. My 10yo seems to like them ok so I am still on the fence about whether we will use CKE next year or one of the Apologia's.

I own Earth & Space, Biology, and Chemistry. I went through Earth & Space two years ago with my younger daughter, who would have been 9 or 10 at the time. She liked it. She likes the coloring pages. But I had to supplement the daylights out of it to make her really happy. She is a lapbook child, so a few months into the program, I realized she needed more. So I supplemented with Hands of a Child and Homeschool Share lapbooks.

I had a plan made out for Biology with the same idea by supplementing with lapbooks. We never carried it out due to my health. (I had severe back issues and had surgery in April.) So, she ended up with Apologia last year. She basically read it and that was it.

I really like Apologia books. I think when I read them I learn a lot, but they have more physical work involved, so we didn't get much done with them at our house. I love the Christian Kids Explore series, but to make them really doable for my daughter, I have to add a lot. But she said she would like to do Biology because then it would be a variety of topics during the year. She doesn't like focusing on one thing for too long.

I haven't decided about next year. She will be 12 and in 6th grade. I had planned to do Botany and then add Chemistry for the experiments. But after reading my thoughts, I am leaning toward the Biology schedule I made and already have all of the supplements lined out. I guess we shall see!

I stink at writing reviews...you've been warned.

We didn't really care for it. It wasn't horrible. We used Biology, by the way. But it wasn't spectacular either. It didn't seem to have enough information. And I am not one who generally supplements everything. I'm pretty easy going about content. CKEB just did not have it going on. We stumbled through, with my k, 3rd and 5th graders, but we weren't overly excited about any of it. Except maybe the cell model project ;)

Brief, yes, but a tad too much so, especially if the child likes science. As compared to Apologia, well, I've only used their elementary Astronomy, so cannot compare biology to biology..but...Apologia does tend to give a lot of info. It can be a bit wordy. But I'd look at another Apologia program before I looked at another CKE.