Menu

Feingold Program?

We have been using the Feingold program for two years, with excellent success.

I already knew that I wanted our family to have an all-natural diet, so ordering the materials was a no-brainer for me.

After receiving the food list, we followed it (stage 1) for six weeks, at which point we decided to take a break during my husband's family reunion.

That's when we realized how effective it was. The change in our son was so gradual we hadn't noticed how MUCH he had changed. We've been back on ever since, and don't plan on reintroducing artificial/synthetic ingredients back to our regular diet.

Really, once you have a few marathon shopping sessions while scanning your foodlist, you settle into a groove and it just becomes second nature. When you are on stage 2, you can eat just about anything, as long as it's a natural version. :)

Feingold is important for any kid with issues, but some kids have to go even further with removal of things like dairy, gluten, etc. So keep that in mind if your child is still having issues after having been on Feingold for a while.

We never did the Feingold program, but we did eliminate dyes, preservatives, etc. on our own first several years ago.. Eventually we had to also eliminate gluten and dairy for all of my kids and also soy for another daughter (per test results). Two of my kids can now have small amounts of dairy, but they all remain 100% gluten free.

But yes, definitely do start a Feingold-type program in your home.. You don't necessarily have to order anything from them.. Just read labels and serve whole foods. Shop at the health food store and you'll have more selection of foods without preservatives, dyes, etc.

My experience is very much like Misty's ^

We did a modified Feingold for several years, eliminating preservatives, colorings, etc. It made a HUGE difference. My son reacts severely to anything artificial. However, we did go further to eliminate gluten, then dairy, and now all grains and sugar. But if you're just starting out, Feingold is definitely worth a try!

I heartily recommend eliminating preservatives, colors and dyes regardless of whether or not you're officially on the program!

Where the program comes in handy is when you're dealing with certain seemingly innocuous additives like Vitamin A Palmitate (added to milk and dairy products among other things), which can be preserved with BHT and not indicated on the label. Same with the oil or pan grease for fries, chips, and baked goods like bread. Many commercial oils are preserved with synthetics, but not required to be listed on the label.

Thank you for responding. It seems a little overwhelming at first, but maybe starting to replace things a little at a time would be doable. We do eat fairly healthy, I make most things from scratch, but there is still room for improvement. I also just got my first order of fish oil capsules so we are going to start those also. I guess I just needed to hear some testimonies from moms who actually noticed much improvement with dietary changes. I appreciate the input!

I was the same way! We ate a fairly healthful diet already and STILL had improvements. My son is sensitive to the naturally-occurring salicylates, so eliminating the foods for stage one (like apples, cucumbers, and almonds) was helpful. He can actually tolerate them better now. :)

I know what you mean about wanting to hear about successful dietary changes. When changing the way your whole family eats, you want some assurance!

We also had incredible success with food enzymes, which I just reintroduced after being lazy/cheap for a couple of years. We notice a change within days when I'm consistent with giving them to my son with meals.

we follow it loosely.....and I've noticed that apple juice is a problem for zach--we try to eat more natural foods and stay away from food colorings/additives....I can certainly tell when he's had apple juice and a certain kind of nacho chips..... it's worth trying....can be overwhelming to start but if it works it's worth it....

I usually go cold-turkey when we make a big dietary change. I tell myself and family that we'll try it for six weeks, because that seems achievable. Then, if it's working, we continue.

And, yes, digestive enzymes were what I meant. We use the ones from Houston. No-Fenol, Peptizide and HN-Zyme Prime; one each with every meal. At first I opened them and sprinkled them on the first few bites of food, then I eventually convinced my son to chew them and now he swallows them before eating.

If he gets too many salicylate foods in one day, or has something with artificial ingredients, I give him two No-Fenols, as that seems to help combat the ill-effects.

It concerns me when people say to just read labels. The reason the Feingold Association (support group for Feingolders) was formed back in 1976 by parents was because reading labels is just not enough. It is a start, but not enough. There's too much in the foods that are not on the label--preservatives, synthetic dyes/flavorings, etc. There are so many hidden additives, preservative sprayed on bags, hidden in components of bought foods that it is impossible to eliminate them just by reading labels.

Join the Feingold Assoc., you get a guide book which walks you through the whys and how's , a shopping list with researched products so you do not have to guess or read labels, you also get the support of members on the member board where you can ask for help and specific brand names, you can also have people help you trouble shoot a issue.

But yes, definitely do start a Feingold-type program in your home.. You don't necessarily have to order anything from them.. Just read labels and serve whole foods. Shop at the health food store and you'll have more selection of foods without preservatives, dyes, etc.