Menu

Songlight book selection question

What books from core A (K- intro to world cultures) would you recommend for my 2 ds's who will be in K and 1st grade to go with MFW ECC to make it a bit more age appropriate for them? I want something to help bring ECC to their level a bit. They will do some mapping exercises and the passports and such with their sisters. They will listen in when their attention spans allow for it, but I would like something to bring to their level as well. TIA

The encyclopedia has quite a few culture pages. Wild Places would be good for cultures, as it goes through jungle, mountains, and desert. I Heard the Good News has many, many stories from different cultures. From the Read Alouds, I would say Mary on Horseback (Appalachian mountains - historical), In Grandma's Attic (more historical maybe?), The Family Under the Bridge (France), Granny Han's Breakfast (older core - wonderful book!).

Also, think about The Gods Must Be Angry (a family finds that their statues can't help them) and New Toes for Tia (a girl burns her toes off and gets them replaced) are both about Thailand. These are from P4/5.

HTH!

Edited by 3peasinapod

We just finished SL K with my oldest (DD6) and our favorites were: Living Long Ago, I Heard the Good News Today; The Boxcar Children (I didn't care for it, but both DD 4,6 liked it), James Herriot's Treasury for children, Mary on Horseback, Grandma's Attic (we're reading others in this series)

The encyclopedia has quite a few culture pages. Wild Places would be good for cultures, as it goes through jungle, mountains, and desert. I Heard the Good News has many, many stories from different cultures. From the Read Alouds, I would say Mary on Horseback (Appalachian mountains - historical), In Grandma's Attic (more historical maybe?), The Family Under the Bridge (France), Granny Han's Breakfast (older core - wonderful book!).

Also, think about The Gods Must Be Angry (a family finds that their statues can't help them) and New Toes for Tia (a girl burns her toes off and gets them replaced) are both about Thailand. These are from P4/5.

HTH!

Thank you! I will check those out!

We just finished SL K with my oldest (DD6) and our favorites were: Living Long Ago, I Heard the Good News Today; The Boxcar Children (I didn't care for it, but both DD 4,6 liked it), James Herriot's Treasury for children, Mary on Horseback, Grandma's Attic (we're reading others in this series)

I will check those out to!

Any other suggestions??

I wonder if maybe I should just get core A and have the boys do that together instead of trying to combine them with ECC. Any thoughts? Then do the family cycle the next year? I wonder if that would be easier.

I would have 2 children in ECC and 2 in Sonlight core A

I haven't responded because my kids usually wind up liking most of the books, so it's hard for me to pick and choose.

- The Apple & the Arrow was a favorite of my daughter's but I think it was a tougher read for that age.

- Family Under the Bridge, Twenty and Ten and The Hundred Dresses were all very good, but some people don't like them for more sensitive children.

- Mary on Horseback was inspiring. I can't remember if there was sensitive information in it.

- The Boxcar Children, Capyboppy and My Father's Dragon are all very fun and age appropriate. Both Boxcar Children and My Father's Dragon have sequels if either of them winds up being a hit with your kids.

- Oh, and Dr. Doolittle was much loved. I wouldn't have wanted to miss this one.

I'll stop there unless you want to do the entire K curriculum.:tongue_smilie: I wish I had another Kindergartener!

Lisa

ETA: I've got to add In Grandma's Attic to the list. This is another one with sequels.

Edited by LisaTheresa

We didn't do the whole core, but Ariel liked The House at Pooh Corner, The Story About Ping (we read this with FIAR), The Story of Dr. Doolittle, and The Llama Who Had No Pajama, but her absolute favorites were James Herriot's Treasury for Children :001_wub:, and Capyboppy. I originally checked Capyboppy out from the library, but after she insisted on checking it out a third time, I bought it. I purchased JHTFC from the get-go. Oddly enough, she did not like My Father's Dragon, even though it seems to be a favorite of a lot of children.

You might also look at some of the FIAR or GTG books. There are a number of the FIAR titles that are set in different places around the world.