Menu

Lial Intermediate DVT's, found these free will they work?

I own the DVT's for the 8th edition. My guess would be that they would probably coincide, with some minor changes.

I think you said you owned the 7th edition of the Intermediate Algebra text. I would just sit down and read through the first section while watching the DVT's for that section. If they're not too dissimilar, they may work!

Do you know if this website has the 9th edition DVT's (or another edition) for the Introductory Algebra text?

Thanks for sharing!

The 9th edition is from a different Algebra series than the 'paperback' one that I use. It has 'Beginning Algebra' instead of Introductory Algebra.

The progression of the texts will varry. The older series (it has been around a few years longer) is a bit more 'rushed' but it is still solid and 'college prep'. These texts are also normally found as 'hard bound'. I prefer the larger print of the paperback series.

As of this year Pearson has 'merged' both into one. It is going by the title '10th edition'. They will not be making any more 'Introductory Algebra' texts as they are also keeping the title of the oldest Algebra 1 text--Beginning Algebra. With this change they have also 'supposedly' (I have not seen it yet) upgraded the DVTs to include the test problems worked out by an instructor.

To answer your question...the basic teaching in the two series is the same. Margaret Lial is still the main author. The concepts may be in different orders--and may contain slightly different material/focus.

The 9th edition is from a different Algebra series than the 'paperback' one that I use. It has 'Beginning Algebra' instead of Introductory Algebra.

Well crappy pappy. I bought the 7th edition of Introductory Algebra...what SHOULD have come after it? Intermediate Algebra...what??? This is too complicated for me. :confused:

Basic College Math (my favorite for Pre-Algebra) or Lial's Pre-Algebra = Pre Algebra

Introductory Algebra or Beginning Algebra = Algebra 1

Intermediate Algebra = Algebra 2

College Algebra = Algebra 3 or the first half of a standard Pre-Calc course

Pre-Calc= College Algebra plus Trigonometry can be taken as a 1 semester CC course or a one-year high school course OR CC students can take 1 semester of College Algebra and 1 semester of Trig if they need to go slower.

Calc.