Menu

please tell me if I should use Growing with Grammar

trisharog

This is my first time homeschooling . My DS will be in 4th grade. I have been trying to read all of the threads about grammar and it seems GWG best fits our bill. Tell me if I am correct.

We are doing IEW so we dont need a grammar program that has a writing component. I want a consumable notebook.(I think GWG is that ) Rod and Staff looks like the best program but it looks too dry for my tastes. I would like a grammar program that he can pretty much do on his own. ( Have to schedule in a little laundry time ) I have read a lot about Shurley grammar but I dont think it does diagramming. Has anyone ever come up with a chart that gives side by sides of the most popular programs.

Thank you sooo much for feedback.

Trisha

Hi Trisha,

I don't have a chart to compare, but I can tell you this: GWG has writing, but VERY little. My daughter has done the 4th grade program, and I think she was asked to write 3 - 5 times. So you should not be afraid of doing it alongside a writing program; in fact, you probably should!

It does have diagramming, actually, I am very pleased with the diagramming. Just the right amount, in my opinion, for a 4th grader.

The child can definitely do it on his/her own, with the work being checked later, on a daily basis, by the parent.

We have been thrilled with this program overall. Just tremendous.

Hope this helps!

I second what Amy says. :)

I use GWG along with Writing Tales and it is perfect for the child I am using both with. :D GWG is in workbook format, easy to impliment, doesn't take a lot of time, etc. I am soooo happy I found this. After 13+ years of homeschooling, this is my FAVORITE grammar program I have ran across.

I use GWG for 3 out of the 4 children that are still at home. They don't have a GWG level for my oldest, or else she would be using that too. :)

My son is in 5th grade this year and we are using the 4th grade one. Last year we used GWG 3 when he was in 4th grade. We used FLL 1-2, tried Daily Grams 2, & Easy Grammar prior to leaning about GWG, and it was a flop with him. He was slow to read, etc. so that just magnified things for him. EG isn't as clear/direct as GWG, IMHO.

I will use GWG through the summer and keep going with it. We will eventually catch up and be at grade level, but I am not worried about it. He is learning and retaining information. He even helps his younger siblings out when they get confused with things. :D

GWG is very similar in scope and sequence to Rod and Staff, but different in format and less "old fashioned", IMHO.

I think GWG runs pretty true to grade (while, of course, your child may or may not!). I would think that unless your child has really NO grammar at all you could jump in at the appropriate grade and they'll pick it up fairly easily. Level 3 really starts "from the beginning", and paging through Level 4 it also includes some review at the start of each section. I haven't seen 5 or 6 yet... anyone?

• 5 weeks later...
Hi Trisha,

I don't have a chart to compare, but I can tell you this: GWG has writing, but VERY little. My daughter has done the 4th grade program, and I think she was asked to write 3 - 5 times. So you should not be afraid of doing it alongside a writing program; in fact, you probably should!

It does have diagramming, actually, I am very pleased with the diagramming. Just the right amount, in my opinion, for a 4th grader.

The child can definitely do it on his/her own, with the work being checked later, on a daily basis, by the parent.

We have been thrilled with this program overall. Just tremendous.

Hope this helps!

Amy, WOuld you that GWG is a good choice to use alongside of Writing Tales, or would that be redundant? Thanks! Mary

She had been in private school before this year. She was in 4th grade. She has requested GWG5 for 5th grade. It is mostly independent. I had to get my dd into the habit of really reviewing the lesson in the student handbook before doing the exercises. (She was in the habit of trying to get work overwith) So, for a while I reviewed the book with her and talked about the exercises. Then she started picking up the book on her and doing the exercises completely on her own.

There are very, very few writing assignments. I didn't count. I think there is a book report, in which you fill in blanks and maybe write a paragraph. This is not a writing program and you need to do a writing program along with it.

Overall it was a painless way to do grammar.