Menu

Writing curriculum suggestions for my 10yo

Guest Doingwhatsbest

Guest Doingwhatsbest

Hello, This is my first post to this forum, and actually it is my first post ever. I am looking for suggestions for a writing curriculum for my 10yo daughter. She has been mostly homeschooled for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grades. We used Abeka and had tears EVERYDAY instead of writing. We used IEW, but I don't feel like there is enough structure in the program and our progress is very minimal. She is dyslexic and had a very hard time with coming up with her own ideas. When asked to do a creative writing assignment she melts down. We have been continuing with Language Arts with Abeka just skipping the writing. She likes workbooks, and step by step directions. I would also like something that isn't intimidating or time consuming. She hates writing so assignments already take four times longer than they should. I have looked at Jump In but am looking for feedback. Thank you for all of your help!

How about Writing Tales I. I have never used it, but from the samples it looks to be very non-threatening to a non-writer. It also provides the writing material already so the child is not coming up with topics for themselves.

We purchased All Things Fun and Fascinating for my 5th grader for all the reasons you expressed. He doesn't like to come up with original material and most writing programs bring him to tears. It seems to be so well organized.

HTH,

Dee

ps I own Jump In and I don't see a reluctant writer getting through this. There are a lot of assignments on coming up with your own ideas and papers. This to me seems like it is geared more towards the junior high/early highschool crowd.

How about Writing Tales I. I have never used it, but from the samples it looks to be very non-threatening to a non-writer. It also provides the writing material already so the child is not coming up with topics for themselves.

We purchased All Things Fun and Fascinating for my 5th grader for all the reasons you expressed. He doesn't like to come up with original material and most writing programs bring him to tears. It seems to be so well organized.

HTH,

Dee

ps I own Jump In and I don't see a reluctant writer getting through this. There are a lot of assignments on coming up with your own ideas and papers. This to me seems like it is geared more towards the junior high/early highschool crowd.

:iagree: I was going to suggest Writing Tales as well!

Guest Doingwhatsbest

Thank you both for the Writing Tales suggestion. This curriculum looks pretty unintimidating. I really like that it gives me step by step directions that I can understand too. I also like that it incorporates the re-writing ideas of IEW and not the blank page come up with your own masterpeice idea. Personally, I have little trouble writing. Teaching writing is a whole different ballgame though.

Thank you both for the Writing Tales suggestion. This curriculum looks pretty unintimidating. I really like that it gives me step by step directions that I can understand too. I also like that it incorporates the re-writing ideas of IEW and not the blank page come up with your own masterpeice idea. Personally, I have little trouble writing. Teaching writing is a whole different ballgame though.

That's what I loved as well. My daughter did a lot of writing on her own but still struggled with creative writing approaches. I much prefer an imitation program.

She is dyslexic and had a very hard time with coming up with her own ideas. When asked to do a creative writing assignment she melts down.

You could try Writing Tales or Writing with Ease. Neither program is going to ask your dd to come up with her own ideas.

SWB states in WTM to not force creative writing, it will come later, or not at all. She is coming out with a creative writing program for 5th grade and up and it is optional.