Menu

Singapore Math Question

Sahamamama

I need to order materials for two students in the same level. Which components are consumable? I think we need:

• 1 HIG
  • 1 Textbook (or 2)?
  • 2 Workbooks

Additional components:

• 2 Intensive Practice
  • 2 Extra Practice
  • 1 Challenging Word Problems (could we work them on a white board?)

Did I get that right, or is there another way to do it (without making copies)? :bigear:

I need to order materials for two students in the same level. Which components are consumable? I think we need:

• 1 HIG

• 1 Textbook (or 2)?

• 2 Workbooks

Additional components:

• 2 Intensive Practice

• 2 Extra Practice

• 1 Challenging Word Problems (could we work them on a white board?)

Did I get that right, or is there another way to do it (without making copies)? :bigear:

I think you've got it right. I don't see the need for 1 textbook per student (we only use it orally), and I agree that CWPs could be worked on a board or on paper.

You could also order only 1 each of the IP and EP and see if / how / when you actually use them before you commit to buying 2 copies. I have an EP sitting on my shelf that hasn't been cracked yet ... :001_smile:

You could definitely get away with only 1 HIG and 1 textbook. The workbook is consumable so you would need to of those. I don't have experience with the other books, but I think all but the Challenging Word problems are consumable. Angela at Satorismiles.com just did a blog post recently about Singapore here.

Thanks, Fairy Tale. :001_smile: I read Angela's review of SPM, which is what helped me decide to take the plunge and move over to Singapore for next school year... or maybe the rest of this one? :001_huh: Thanks!

In level 4 (and some in 3), I've let my son write in the textbook instead of on separate paper for some problems we haven't done orally. That would be the only reason I might lean towards 2 textbooks.

I'd probably go with one EP book while you see how much you'll use it. I have the EP books but we are using them less and less. When more practice on a topic is needed, the Spectrum Math books seem to have more drill.

One CWP book (and work on separate paper) is probably fine. I find the CWP book doesn't have enough space generally to show all work (especially if you go down a wrong path at some point).

I think you could use 1 Textbook. 1 HIG (for sure).

You will need two workbooks.

The CWPs could be done with one if you are going to read them and/or write them all out on a white-board and do them together, but it would limit more independent work.

I'm not sure you will need both Extra Practice and Intensive Practice books. But each child would need one (at least with the IPs, I have not used the EPs) but would imagine the EPs are the same in terms of each child needing one. You could not hope to write out all the complex problems and make it worth your time. The EP books are more practice of the basic difficulty, the IPs are challenging.

Get the Standards Edition for all but the IPs.

Bill

I'm not sure you will need both Extra Practice and Intensive Practice books. But each child would need one (at least with the IPs, I have not used the EPs) but would imagine the EPs are the same in terms of each child needing one. You could not hope to write out all the complex problems and make it worth your time. The EP books are more practice of the basic difficulty, the IPs are challenging.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I would get either EP *OR* IP, but not both. Go with EP if your students need more on-level practice, IP if they're bright and you want to challenge them.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I would get either EP *OR* IP, but not both. Go with EP if your students need more on-level practice, IP if they're bright and you want to challenge them.

That's good advice, although since I have two very different (though "identical" ;)) little students, we'll have to see if it's possible to follow it.

My twins share the "exact same" DNA, right? But they are wired differently. One is Little Miss Logorrhea, and the other is Little Miss Mechanical Engineer. They are going to approach math from very different angles, and they are both bright and eager. Then there's my oldest, who is Little Miss Schoolteacher. She wants the math course that she can explain to me. :lol:

I just ordered an EP, an IP, and a CWP for Levels 1 and 2, along with the core course materials (2 WBs for Level 1). Between the three girls, we'll probably use enough of it all to make it worthwhile. Thanks for all the feedback.

We are Singapore wannabees. :D