Menu

Vitamix: Which one is the best?

http://www.amazon.com/Vitamix-Professional-Countertop-Blender-Platinum/dp/B000RRKQKA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307846084&sr=8-1

This one is expensive ($500) but has a lot of great reviews. There are cheaper ones like $400. I plan to buy one but wonder if this most expensive one is the best one. I would certainly like to spend more money for a better quality one. What is your experience with a vitamix like?

We are super, super happy with our BlendTec. I think many of my friends got theirs at Costco. I got mine for $399 a few years ago at some raw foods store. I forget the reasons why we chose that over the Vitamix, but I think they're both pretty equal - both super, powerful blenders. It fits nicely under our cupboards and looks great. It blends anything I put in it, love it so much!

Do you have a Costco membership? Or know someone who does? I am pretty sure we paid less than $300 for ours, during one of the roadshows.

Yes! My friend has a membership and she got hers there for about $400. She spent two long years convincing her dh to spend this money on it and they did less than two years ago and she makes smoothies and peanut butter with it. She is the one who motivates me to get a vitamix. I already asked her to watch out for sales for me.

We have the top of the line (the 5000?)....can't recall exactly, but it and the "package" from vitamix.com cost around $500.

It is fabulous. Use it daily. Mostly for green smoothies.

My husband (who is as frugal as I am) says that if the VitaMix ever tore up, he'd not bat an eyelash at having to buy one/year ---THAT's HOW much we use it and LOVE it. I think it came with a lifetime warranty anyway....(all this is fuzzy in my memory...but it came with a nice warranty). My friend has the one under (in price/features) than mine, and she wishes she'd have paid the extra $100 for what all mine can do.

I grind flour in it, make soup, you name it.

We have the top of the line (the 5000?)....can't recall exactly, but it and the "package" from vitamix.com cost around $500.

It is fabulous. Use it daily. Mostly for green smoothies.

My husband (who is as frugal as I am) says that if the VitaMix ever tore up, he'd not bat an eyelash at having to buy one/year ---THAT's HOW much we use it and LOVE it. I think it came with a lifetime warranty anyway....(all this is fuzzy in my memory...but it came with a nice warranty). My friend has the one under (in price/features) than mine, and she wishes she'd have paid the extra $100 for what all mine can do.

I grind flour in it, make soup, you name it.

How often do you grind flour? Do you have the dry blade and container? I would like to buy wheat berries and grind my own flour.

I grind only once a week (finished product = 4 cups flour). However, I have a good friend who grinds 3 or 4x /week for the past 13 years with her (she got hers in 1999) and it's still going strong.

Yes I also have the dry blades container/package.

After much researching, I have my heart set on Blendtec because of its size and the combined wet/dry container. Thanks, Satori's mom, for your recommendation. I have two friends, one with a Vitamix and the other with the Blendtec. So I've seen both. But the reviews that say people who own both or have used both for a while prefer Blendtec sold me on it. I do like the fact that it can fit on the counter under the cabinet.

I also would like to have a Family Grain Mill, or Nutri Mill. If I have a freezer, then I am set for a few years for my kitchen supply. Dh is a little skeptical about spending so much on a blender. I don't know enough of what it can do either, but I sure want to make my own soy milk as well as grind some wheat flour.

Thank you all for your helpful responses.