Menu

WOW! Almond flour is expensive!! Where is the cheapest place to buy?

I have looked at several places for purchasing blanched almond flour. I have seen some of them at 5.99 a pound. Most are at 7.50 a pound. I also have heard some make their own. However the nuts are at the same poundage price as the flour....so is it really worth it for me to make my own or does it yeild more flour when I buy just the blanced nuts?

Thanks!

Holly

(this is for gluten free and low carb cooking in my family....3 of us are low carb and other two are gf)

I've ground my own almonds in the food processor and used it when it called for almond flour and everything came out just fine.

Do you buy regular or blanched almonds? Healthyadvocate website said that she blanches the almonds herself... I have no idea what it means. I have also read that it is cheaper to go to a market to buy the almonds there instead of online due to shipping. (I agree with this!!)

Holly

I've ground my own almonds in the food processor and used it when it called for almond flour and everything came out just fine.

I've done this too (with unblanched almonds), but all the wonderful-looking recipes at Elena's Pantry claim to only work with commercial blanched almond flour, and not homemade. Which really makes me wonder what the difference is. Is it the blanching? Is commercial more finely ground than a food processor can easily get? Or are there additives to commercial almond flour?

I've done this too (with unblanched almonds), but all the wonderful-looking recipes at Elena's Pantry claim to only work with commercial blanched almond flour, and not homemade. Which really makes me wonder what the difference is. Is it the blanching? Is commercial more finely ground than a food processor can easily get? Or are there additives to commercial almond flour?

I've used a few of her recipes with the almond meal instead and I thought they turned out really well.

I've used a few of her recipes with the almond meal instead and I thought they turned out really well.

That's good to know. I figured I'd try some of them with ground almonds next time we have almonds available for grinding, so it's nice to know that there's reason to believe I won't be wasting my time (and almonds), though I guess the probably worst that would happen was that I'd end up with something that was edible, but not exactly write shape or texture-wise.

Do you buy regular or blanched almonds? Healthyadvocate website said that she blanches the almonds herself... I have no idea what it means. I have also read that it is cheaper to go to a market to buy the almonds there instead of online due to shipping. (I agree with this!!)

Holly

I just use raw almonds. They make a lot of noise!

I didn't see this posted on her website. Healthy advocate said homemade works fine with all of Elana's pantry books. Elana's pantry is the reason why I am searching for almond flour. Found her blog a few days ago.

I didn't see this posted on her website. Healthy advocate said homemade works fine with all of Elana's pantry books. Elana's pantry is the reason why I am searching for almond flour. Found her blog a few days ago.

Ok, looking over it again, it doesn't say that homemade blanched almond flour won't work, just that unblanched almond meal won't, and it seem to be a consistency issue.

Country Life natural foods has it much cheaper. $4.10 a pound, 5 pound bag, cheaper if you buy 25 pounds for the blanched. Fine ground is cheaper.

I belong to a coop that orders from them several times a year, but anyone can order from them. They have a small s/h fee for small orders, plus you do pay shipping. I guess you have to do that math there.