Menu

Can you give me your review of Video Text Algebra?

I have been recommended this on one of the threads I posted about dd, and I watched their video (it sold me) but dh said it sounded to much like an infomercial :D so he wants reviews from real people who have used it that do NOT work for the company :001_smile:. So I am asking here, and I will also look at online reviews also. Thanks

I wrote a little about it in your other thread, sorry, I don't know how to link....

Sorry about all the treads :blush:, my mind is on overdrive, this is the last thing I need to decide for dd next year and I am stressing over it big time because its already June. I should be ordering not deciding :confused:

Well, Dr. Cotter, who wrote RightStart Math, HIGHLY recommends VideoText for high school. In fact, she didn't bother writing high school levels for RightStart because she felt there was already a perfect high school math available.. VideoText.

My dd and I went to our homeschool convention last month and talked to the guy at the VideoText booth. We were there for the sole reason of looking at every algebra program we could find. So we looked at quite a few programs while there. We sat through a VT video lesson and then we were guided through the problems in the workbooks, etc.. Everything just clicked with dd so easily with this program. And she struggles quite a bit with math in general. We left convention with dd and I in agreement that we would use VideoText in the fall.

HOWEVER, now that Teaching Textbooks has announced that they have automated grading with their algebra levels.. We might just keep with TT since that is what we have been using for the past 3 years (and she's done fine with it). So I don't know about our final choice for high school.. but I do think highly of VideoText and it is my first choice if we don't stick with TT.

Edited by Misty

Well, Dr. Cotter, who wrote RightStart Math, HIGHLY recommends VideoText for high school. In fact, she didn't bother writing high school levels for RightStart because she felt there was already a perfect high school math available.. VideoText.

My dd and I went to our homeschool convention last month and talked to the guy at the VideoText booth. We were there for the sole reason of looking at every algebra program we could find. So we looked at quite a few programs while there. We sat through a VT video lesson and then we were guided through the problems in the workbooks, etc.. Everything just clicked with dd so easily with this program. And she struggles quite a bit with math in general. We left convention with dd and I in agreement that we would use VideoText in the fall.

HOWEVER, now that Teaching Textbooks has announced that they have automated grading with their algebra levels.. We might just keep with TT since that is what we have been using for the past 3 years (and she's done fine with it). So I don't know about our final choice for high school.. but I do think highly of VideoText and it is my first choice if we don't stick with TT.

OK will you talk to me about teaching textbooks as well? I see there are some updates in Pre-Algebra and Algebra 1. Do you like TT? Well, obviously you do or you would not stick with it. Would you consider this comprehensive? Do you consider this thorough? Do you think this is lacking anything? I see the new Algebra 1 now contains graphing, which I heard the origional was lacking. How would you rate TT overall?

OK will you talk to me about teaching textbooks as well? I see there are some updates in Pre-Algebra and Algebra 1. Do you like TT? Well, obviously you do or you would not stick with it. Would you consider this comprehensive? Do you consider this thorough? Do you think this is lacking anything? I see the new Algebra 1 now contains graphing, which I heard the origional was lacking. How would you rate TT overall?

Well, we have resorted to just "surviving" math.. Not looking to excel in it with this particular child. So TT has definitely met my expectations. I might not be the right person to ask about TT.. My daughter has a lopsided brain where she excels in language-based subjects, but struggles with numbers.

My son used the Pre-Alg this year. He liked it and likes anything on the computer. He seemed to do very well in the homework, but then not so good on the quizzes and tests and he really looked over the material well. I'm not sure why that was - except that maybe because they get extra help or chances on the hw problems. I think he was totally understanding what he was doing. There were also very few problems on the quizzes and tests and so if you missed one or two your grade was low. I didn't like that I couldn't really help him because I need a book to look at. You can print out a textbook - but it's very large and I have read it is just screenshots. He didn't need much help with the pre-alg, but I was a little concerned that he might need it with Alg 1. I need to be able to flip back - it was too hard to do that with the computer.

After reading a million reviews and talking to irl people too, we decided to go with TT for the duration - barring any major difficulties. I decided the "too easy" reviews were worth the risk - I am fine with that initially as long as it ends up in the same place or close anyway. I am possibly going to combine with LOF - maybe. He loves Fred and I want to make sure it is covered from all angles. Seems TT kids test well on the ACT/SAt and in college entrance exams.

So far, he loves it and is doing very well - of course, it is a lot of review, but he has lowered his error rate! Hopefully, it will continue to go well.:)