Menu

A Child's Geography?

sagira

Can someone tell me about A Child's Geography? I'm looking at it, and like the way it looks. We are, however, planning on doing a casual US Geography using United States - A State by State Guide and tracing state outlines as we're studying American History next year (3rd). Should I use this in 4th? Is it worth it? How is it day to day? Is it hard/difficult to implement?

I will have an 8-year-old (3rd Year), a 4-year-old in preschool for 3 hours a day, and 7-month-old baby, so I crave simplicity. We're focusing on Math, Reading, Writing, Literature (read-alouds), History and Science when dd1 is at pre-K.

:bigear:

Edited by sagira

I purchased this curriculum and found it to be not what we were looking for. It's sitting on the shelf collecting dust. My son is in 3rd grade. We started Trail Guide to US Geography this year and love it! I purchased the DVDs called The States and I use that with the Trail Guide...my son loves geography now and is learning and retaining a lot!

It is a great book but reads more like an earth science book rather than what we typically think of geography. I'm planning on using it this summer in between Noeo levels.

Looking at the reviews on Amazon, I thought it looked like an earth science book too.

When I was growing up Geography encompassed earth science as well as placement of countries, capitals, politics, etc. I'm aware that it is earth science, but I wanted to know if anybody liked it at all. We do quite a bit of CM stuff, and I read some of Ann Voskamp's writings, and I like her.

In thinking about next year, I'm looking for something relatively easy to incorporate into our already busy schedule. Do I print out everything at once? Does it require a lot of prep time? If it's just sitting on the shelf, pp, would you be willing to sell it? It's the print book and CD, right? :D

When I was growing up Geography encompassed earth science as well as placement of countries, capitals, politics, etc. I'm aware that it is earth science, but I wanted to know if anybody liked it at all. We do quite a bit of CM stuff, and I read some of Ann Voskamp's writings, and I like her.

In thinking about next year, I'm looking for something relatively easy to incorporate into our already busy schedule. Do I print out everything at once? Does it require a lot of prep time? If it's just sitting on the shelf, pp, would you be willing to sell it? It's the print book and CD, right? :D

Well, in that case...

I found it extremely well-written and organized. I haven't put it into practice yet, but it seems easy to use. I hope this bump will get you some answers.

We're planning to use this - probably going to start in the next few weeks. I really like her writing style and think my daughter will too. We'll be doing it with another family and adding in some other resources (a little more time spent on rocks and weather) then we'll finish with Canadian geography.

I'm not sure how much we'll read in one sitting though. There is a lot in each chapter. I figure we'll play it by ear.