Menu

Your favorite K'er curriculum for pencil phobic, hands on boys.....

Elohcin

I have a friend who is not a home schooler, but she is moving to Norway with her family for a year. She is asking me to recommend curriculums for her son that she can look at. His father will teach him. I know that he has been in academically oriented preschools. I know that his dad is very very hands on. He is a very gifted carpenter and contractor. She says the boy who just turned 5 is just like his dad and not into pencils. I think her main focus is teaching him to read. I have been thinking of all sorts of curriculum to share with her, but I obviously have not tried them all. Soooooo I am asking for advice. Does anyone have a hands on, less writing, academically oriented kindergarten curriculum they like?

I would love any comment that I could share with her to check out.

Thank you, thank you in advance. I really appreciate it!

I have one of those too! Right start math, and the IEW PAL program, it is uses AAS and minimal writing that can be dictated and many fun games. Even the writing portion of that program is minimal. I wouldn't recommend ETC, it is like pulling teeth for my ds.

OPG or PP, but modified. Taught from a whiteboard and some oral spelling added. The whiteboard makes it a lot more fun and hands on.

He can also add in my phonics concentration game:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

Cat Phonics also has some fun free games:

http://www.catphonics.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/contents.htm (Scroll down for games.)