Menu

Intro and Questions

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions. I'm Pamela and I have a 2.5 year old daughter. We're strongly leaning toward homeschooling her and we are doing a lot research now so that we will have answers to questions others will ask and to build our confidence.

One of my concerns are that she will hate it and hate me for it. This may be completely irrational but she's two and there's no way of telling what she will think later.

Another thing is that she is introverted. It takes awhile for her to warm up. At home she talks non stop and is busy, busy, busy, but out in public she takes awhile to interact. Yesterday at the playground it took her an hour to get up and go play with some of the other kids. When she does, she's fine. She'll talk to them and play and even stand up for herself if need be. The problem is people only see the first few minutes and make a judgment based on that, which I hate.

I was this way and I hated school because of it and I don't want her to feel the same way.

Right now, she's an only child and I don't know when we will have another. Is there anyone homeschooling an only child. What are some of the struggles you feel you are dealing with because he/she is an only child. What are some the advantages?

For Christians: What do you tell people that say that they should be in public school to a light?

I guess that's all for now. If answers to these questions have been posted else where please point me in the right direction and I'll looked there.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions. I'm Pamela and I have a 2.5 year old daughter. We're strongly leaning toward homeschooling her and we are doing a lot research now so that we will have answers to questions others will ask and to build our confidence.

One of my concerns are that she will hate it and hate me for it. This may be completely irrational but she's two and there's no way of telling what she will think later.

There's the potential for that in any of our parenting decisions. Avoiding the blame later (I hope!) rests in the relationship you build w/ her.

Another thing is that she is introverted. It takes awhile for her to warm up. At home she talks non stop and is busy, busy, busy, but out in public she takes awhile to interact. Yesterday at the playground it took her an hour to get up and go play with some of the other kids. When she does, she's fine. She'll talk to them and play and even stand up for herself if need be. The problem is people only see the first few minutes and make a judgment based on that, which I hate.

People will make judgments on your kids no matter what they're like--welcome to the wonderful world of parenting! ;) Introverted kids can really blossom w/ hs'ing because they aren't constantly inundated w/ the idea that there's something wrong w/ them for being that way.

I was this way and I hated school because of it and I don't want her to feel the same way.

Sounds like she might appreciate the hs decision rather than hate it.

Right now, she's an only child and I don't know when we will have another. Is there anyone homeschooling an only child. What are some of the struggles you feel you are dealing with because he/she is an only child. What are some the advantages?

Not me, but there are quite a few here.

For Christians: What do you tell people that say that they should be in public school to a light?

We don't believe in child soldiers, in any kind of war.

I guess that's all for now. If answers to these questions have been posted else where please point me in the right direction and I'll looked there.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome!

Hello Everyone,

Welcome, Pamela!

She won't hate you for it. She may love it or she may not. Start out homeschooling and if she wants to try "school" later on, let her.

Another thing is that she is introverted. It takes awhile for her to warm up. At home she talks non stop and is busy, busy, busy, but out in public she takes awhile to interact. Yesterday at the playground it took her an hour to get up and go play with some of the other kids. When she does, she's fine. She'll talk to them and play and even stand up for herself if need be. The problem is people only see the first few minutes and make a judgment based on that, which I hate. I was this way and I hated school because of it and I don't want her to feel the same way.

I'm an introvert and would have loved being homeschooled. My youngest son is an introvert and he attends outside activities that he feels comfortable with.

I can't offer any advice here. :001_smile:

I have never had anyone say that to me. Most people are very supportive of homeschooling where I live. But I would tell them that I believe parents are responsible for raising and educating their children.

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes!

Welcome to the boards! Wow, you've asked some tough questions. Just to let you know, the doubts you've expressed are totally normal. Keep gathering information, like you're doing on these boards right now. You'll come to your own conclusions in time. You're right on track!

I really appreciate Aubrey's concise answers; I agree with them all, and don't really have much to add. :tongue_smilie:

Hi Pamela!

Your dd won't hate your for homeschooling her. :) There will be times when it's easier and times when it's harder, but you'll be working through them together, just as with any other parenting challenge.

Homeschooling an introvert allows her to reserve energy for social times instead of being drained by the constant presence of others in school.

And who cares what other people think about how long it takes your dd to warm up? :tongue_smilie: Public school doesn't automatically make children socially confident. You know your dd and she's making friends on the playground, even if it does take her some time to warm up.

As for sending my kids to school to be a light for others, meh. *shrug* It's really none of their business, so I just make a noncommittal comment like, "Hmm, that's something to consider" and change the subject.

Good luck! You're going to have a wonderful journey.

Cat

Thanks for the welcome and the replies. I know that we are in for a wonderful adventure and I'm really excited about it. I really appreciate the advice from BTDTs as I only know one family that has homeschooled and it's not a common endeavour around here.

Most people have been supportive so far and there's only one person that I'm really nervous about because she is very opinionated and very overbearing and I'm not and have a hard time standing up for myself with her and usually just agree with what she says so that I don't have to argue (I know that's not a good thing and I'm not usually like that, just with her, not sure why) She's also a public school teacher that promotes the public school system at any chance she gets so I'm trying to arm myself with info so that when she does find out I don't stand there dumbfounded.

Aubrey: I love your comment about child soldiers. I wish I had heard that years ago, it really expresses how I feel.

Pamelia&Claire: Welcome. I had a hard time deciding what to do as well. I kept telling myself we would decide year by year. :lol: I have graduated one who is now in college and I have one who will be a senior next fall. I guess we year by yeared it all the way thr.ough. It has been a real blessing for our family

there's only one person that I'm really nervous about because she is very opinionated and very overbearing and I'm not and have a hard time standing up for myself with her and usually just agree with what she says so that I don't have to argue (I know that's not a good thing and I'm not usually like that, just with her, not sure why) She's also a public school teacher that promotes the public school system at any chance she gets so I'm trying to arm myself with info so that when she does find out I don't stand there dumbfounded.

Ugh. Here you go: Pass the bean dip It's a great strategy for dealing with opinionated folks. (Written by a board member, Joanne. If, on this board, someone posts "Pass the bean dip" this is usually what they mean. :) HTH.)

Your dd is young, so really there's no reason the conversation needs to come up for...well, until Mrs. Nosy Publicschoolteacher notices that your dd isn't attending public school and asks why. ;)

Cat

Ugh. Here you go: Pass the bean dip It's a great strategy for dealing with opinionated folks. (Written by a board member, Joanne. If, on this board, someone posts "Pass the bean dip" this is usually what they mean. :) HTH.)

Your dd is young, so really there's no reason the conversation needs to come up for...well, until Mrs. Nosy Publicschoolteacher notices that your dd isn't attending public school and asks why. ;)

Cat

Thank you I needed this because I have an arsenal full of "facts" and you're right it's not necessary.

Not all homeschoolers are Christians, just as not all public schoolers are Christians. So you theoretically could say, "Your kid should be a homeschooler to be a light in the homeschool community."

:lol: As a Christian, I don't actually think that in my mind! But I'm just illustrating the same kind of logic in thinking. :D

Really, you do not have to answer each and every objection that comes up. Do you object to other people, about their parenting/educational decisions? It's usually considered rude to do so, so you don't really need to answer to the same. I'd recommend just getting your reasons for homeschooling solid in your mind. Keep them positive, so you can talk about the positive - "I homeschool because I want to teach my kids blah blah blah" instead of "I homeschool because I can't stand the school down the street."

Have fun researching!

At 2 years old it's completely normal for her to not be playing with other kids. My kids are just now going to playgrounds and making friends at 4 and 5. At two I thought my oldest was going to be an introvert, but my has he come out of his shell! It has really amazed me.

As a Christian I have heard that argument over and over. To any opinion on anything I've just learned to say "This is what we have decided will work for our family." Can't really argue that, or so it seems so far. I do not criticize anyone I know for sending their child to public school, private school, etc and while I still expect other's to give their opinions on my choices, I don't let it get to me. I learned that pretty early on when people seemed to have an opinion on every choice I was making for my children! Just let it roll right off.