Menu

(cc) Is ther a proper way to discard an old Bible?

Guest momk2000

Guest momk2000

My mother is getting ready to move, and I have been going through boxes of stuff she has stored in the attic. I have come across several old Bibles, some I will be keeping, others that are in such poor condition I just can't see how I could possibly hang onto them. They are literally falling apart. Is there an appropriate way to discard an old Bible? I just cannot bring myself to put a Bible (no matter how tattered and torn) into the garbage. :confused:

hmmm, good question!

I am a bible collector myself, as well as various bible related books, and some mre controversial books. Some of mine aren't in great condition either.

I know some charity shops out here take old, tattered bibles. Ones they can fix (via tape etc) they give to the homeless and others. I am not sure what they do with the rest, maybe recycle them?

I don't think I could ever do that to a bible either!

I'm terribly unsentimental so when one of my Bibles starts falling apart (and I have a Good News Bible on the verge) I'll likely recycle it or toss it in the wood stove.

If you're not as cold-hearted as I am you could bury it in a garden or a corner of your lawn.

A quick google search says to burn or bury it. These seemed to be the preferred methods on other sites as well.

You have actually relieved me of 30 years worth of guilt. My soon-to-be dh was on the phone with an old girlfriend and wouldn't hang up. They had really just been friends for a long time, but I was young and stupid. I took a very expensive Bible she had given him, walked outside, and burned it. I have felt guilty for 30 years. :001_smile:

You have actually relieved me of 30 years worth of guilt. My soon-to-be dh was on the phone with an old girlfriend and wouldn't hang up. They had really just been friends for a long time, but I was young and stupid. I took a very expensive Bible she had given him, walked outside, and burned it. I have felt guilty for 30 years. :001_smile:

Glad I could help :lol:.

(Did he hang up?)

When he looked outside and saw a fire, yeah, he hung up.

Oh, funny!

If one does not want to start a fire or dig a hole, take the unwanted Bible to your church. Your priest, pastor, minister, etc., will probably be happy to dispose of it for you.

Guest momk2000

Thank you for the suggestions. I like the idea of burying them. They are way beyond repair, and literally break apart when I pick them up. The Bibles I am keeping are also very worn, and some of the bindings are broken apart, but I can still gently page through them. These are Bibles that belonged to my father and my grandparents, so I am really keeping them for sentimental reasons. Some are just unfortunately not worth holding on to.