Menu

Considering using The Little Man in the Map

Nikki -TX-

We've had fun around here learning to name the 50 states by singing the song "Fifty Nifty United States" (YouTube). I'm amazed how much even my 4 yr old has retained!

Now I'm looking for a fun way to learn the locations of the states.

I found a book called The Little Man in the Map. Have you ever used it? My children have learned many states by just watching the short clip on YouTube we found. It looks fun! A link to the book's website:

http://www.schoolsidepress.com/TheLittleManInTheMap.html

This past year, we flew through MFW Adventures for American History/Geography only (with 2 friends visiting once/week) so fast I wasn't able to cover each state. I'd like to do this as a quick fun way to supplement. (Plus I have ideas to paint a giant USA canvas all together!)

We have read and read and reread The man in the map book. My children LOVE it. They never tire of it and they are learning geography in a very fun and engaging way with it. I just need to buy the book because we have paid too many library fines from keeping it for so long :-)

...if only my local libraries would carry it! I'm glad to hear your family likes it!

These books (Little Man in the Map and Scrambled States of America) sparked a huge interest in my daughter. I read them right before she turned six. Early this spring she was drawing maps with a little man in them. Then she drew states with little faces on them. I remember them from the books we read, so that launched a whole study on the states. She has an uncanny talent for memorizing the shapes of any country in the world now. I try very hard to challenge her.

These two are books that I think would be keepers! I'd purchase them if you can.

• 1 month later...

It really depends on how many states your dc can already locate. I just finished going through MIM as a unit study with 8 kids, aged from 6 to 12. The oldest already knew her states, so it was review for her, but the 8-11 year olds learned so much. (The 6 yr old enjoyed it, but only retained about 40%.) My ds (almost 10) can now locate them all, and my dd (8) can 90% I'd say.

We went through the book (as a group) in 6 days, learning one region per day, as the book presents the states. Then we drew large maps on poster board by tracing the states (Montessori style) and coloring/painting them in.

While we worked on our maps, I played this song -

from YouTube; it's helpful to learn. Cool to hear my 4 yr old singing it! :)