Menu

iPad Apps for Toddlers and Preschoolers

eskibear9

Please share your favorite educational iPad Apps for toddlers and preschoolers. Also, does anyone know of any website that does a good job reviewing children apps? There are so many new ones every day and some websites I have found are pretty dated.

Edited by eskibear9

So far, I have a few favorite app creators, and I usually like most of what they make.

PRESCHOOL UNIVERSITY

My absolute favorite is Preschool University, which has put out a number of reading and pre-reading/phonics apps, and is totally free, without ads.

We are currently using Magic Reading 1 and 2, and well as Spelling Magic 1 and 2.

I was just at their web site earlier today and I noticed that they have plans for a whole slew more of the reading and spelling apps, as well as sentence aps (short sentences with 3 letter short vowel words to coincide with Magic Reading 1, etc.) and a few others. I am super excited for all their future apps as they are released, as I'm sure we'll be using them. These are the first apps I've found that really work on decoding and encoding words systematically, and they allow my young son to practice encoding without having to write. You can see their web site here: http://preschoolu.com/default.aspx but be aware that it is under construction. Presumably they are too busy developing apps. Also note that the web site seems geared to sell the apps though for now they are free- so I'd get them now. Perhaps eventually they'll start charging.

LEARNING TOUCH

Bob Books Reading Magic 1 and 2 -

These apps are cute, and mostly good (I disapprove of the word "car" suddenly showing up in the middle of short vowel CVC words, but otherwise it's great), but they don't offer all that much bang for the buck. Each one available so far is $1.99 and has twelve scenes, each with three or four words to read and spell. I bought these mostly to help motivate my son to read the physical Bob Books we have.

APP ZOO -

App Zoo has a number of useful apps, most of which are available in free versions, but be aware that those have banners which your child could easily click on to buy something... if they figure out your password. ;) Mostly the banner ads were annoying me, so I gladly shelled out $.99 per app to get them to go away!

We have and use:

Math 1 - Single and Double Digit Addition and Subtraction

I most like how this works - it's a great transitional app for my son who recognizes numbers and can count, but isn't ready for the numbers-only drills provided by a lot of math apps. These show visually how many objects are being added and subtracted.

Math Train - Addition and Subtraction -

One of my favorites in how it demonstrates subtraction, by having you pop balloons. (Many apps simply put an X over something, which confuses my son, as he is still likely to count it)

(they also have multiplication and division math train, but as we're not ready for that I can't review it)

1-2-3 tracer

Meh. My son likes it, and it reinforces number order, but I'm underwhelmed.

APPS IN MY POCKET

ABC Pocket Phonics - this is great, though to my mind it moves too quickly too more advanced phonemes. Then again, due to this and "Baby Fwog," (Leap Frog) my son can read SH and CH and the like long before I taught him.

Dot to Dot Number Whiz - we have the "lite" version. A nice simple dot to dot program.

BRAIN COUNTS

We have Dinosaur Kids Math and Ace Kids Math, both of which do simple addition and subtraction and demonstrate the sums visually (the former with dinosaurs, the latter with various objects including fruits)

CLASSROOM FOCUSED LEARNING

This is a teacher group who go together to write simple math apps. These are GREAT for number sense learning, but they definitely didn't have the benefit of an expensive design team. Still, check them out. They all have free versions:

Count Sort

Line em Up

Patter Sets

What Time

What's Hiding?

10 Frame Fill

DUCK DUCK MOOSE

Park Math

We love this. Wonderful addition and subtraction, visually demonstrated by apples falling from a tree (subtraction) and ducks climbing a ladder (addition), as well as sequencing, size sorting, counting to 50, etc. Beautiful graphics, though I think it's $2.99 Well worth it!

GRASSHOPPER APPS

1-2-3 Learning

Great simple counting app, with numbers showing up on top of the objects counted as you touch them.

similar to this is: Toddler Counting by iTot Apps.

When I received my iPad, I splurged and bought two of the MONTESSORIUM Apps. They are beautiful, and cool, but frankly everything they do you can get for free or cheap elsewhere. Still, if you have the $5 per app, or if they go on sale, go for it. (These apps were featured in the iPad adds, they are so beautiful.)

PEAPOD LABS

I love ABC Music by Peapod Labs. It links to YouTube videos of musical instruments and pieces being played. :)

WEILY APPS

Visual Math 1 has the potential to be interesting, but some of it is beyond my son's ability right now and there aren't great controls for difficulty. Most of the best apps (including the math apps I cited earlier) will allow you to change settings (or automatically adjust) to your child's ability.

We also use Lingu Pingu for English/Russian and English/German language studies.

Phew. That's it for now. Oh, wait, we also recently got the Number Line Frog (by BRIAN WEST), which demonstrates addition and subtraction by having a frog jump up and down a number line. Very basic app, but we like it.

I for one can't wait until Leap Frog starts coming out with apps. I'll take an iPhone/iPad Word Whammer, please...because our physical one is busted. :(

Edited by eloquacious

• 4 months later...

Here's a good website you might looking for. http://www.inkids.com.au/

There are various ipad games and apps for kids, preschoolers and even toddlers today which we can find online. Reading books is undoubtedly useful, but it’s even better to choose the game that does not only entertain our child, but also makes him think and think logically. There are lots of different apps and games, therefore each parent can find what we considers appropriate for our kid.

Edited by dianne87

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest hartlanes

In my opinion, iPad is really a fun and interactive way to teach preschooler everything from shapes to colors to numbers and counting! Many apps are available to download and my favourite apps are colormixer, interactive baby sound, voice toddler card and toddler quize flashcards.