Menu

My son has a Dr's appt tomorrow...

...in regards to my ADD/ADHD suspicion. Things are getting worse and I have become concerned. He's 9 and I do have a TON of patience which is why we haven't gone yet. (I am not saying that others don't have patience. I just know that very little ruffles my feathers) What is concerning me is the fact that he is beginning to seriously injure himself. The teeth ripped out, a concussion on Fri. On top of that it is starting to damage his self esteem. He can't control himself...and he gets frustrated with himself. Also, he has begun to have more difficulty in his sports. He has been on competitive baseball and soccer teams, but he lliterally cannot NOT be distracted by a passing cloud or flying bird.

Between the injuries, self-esteem and starting to have his athletic abilities suffer from his inability to focus, we are going in. Is there any advice you have? Questions I need to make sure and ask? Thanks in advance!

The doctor will probably give you a questionnaire to fill out, and your son's coach or another adult who knows him well will have to fill it out too.

You should make sure you express your concerns about your son's safety and his self-esteem. The self-esteem issue is actually the biggest red flag I read in your post. It can be VERY damaging to not feel in control of yourself or believe that you can trust your own body & mind.

I hope you have a good appointment and feel that you're heard. You're being a good mom to get this checked out.

I would ask for some basic blood work to be done before starting meds just to get a baseline and then if anything pops up, you can address it-things like blood sugar, thyroid, basic lipids, liver/kidney function, etc.

I agree with just be himself. You can write out a lot of notes ahead of time and maybe arrange to talk to the doctor alone for part of the time. I find that helpful as I don't like to talk about all the issues in front of the kid but the more frank you can be with the doctor, the better it will be.

Thanks everyone! I was concerned about how to discuss this with my son present, so I really appriciate the suggestions of writing out my concerns before hand.

This appointment is with a Pediatrician, after that we will progress where we need to. We are new to the area here and still finding Drs we are comfortable with.

What adds to the self esteem issues is that he is an identical twin. His twin though can focus. He is still a VERY active boy, but he is begininng to pull way ahead of his brother in all the areas I mentioned simply because he can take direction and apply himself.

Right now they both run track twinA (with the attention issues) will starts off strong and then start looking at those around him, behind him, his feet, the bleachers. He ends up running in spurts. TwinB though just goes. Finds a rythmn and makes it happen. Normally, I would just see this as them being strong in different areas, but I am seeing a similar situation in other activities and academics. My heart just breaks for the kid.

We do not go till this afternoon, but I will let you guys know how it goes!

Call the doctor's office and give them a heads up that you need to talk to the doctor alone. Can your ds be trusted in the waiting room alone for a few minutes? The doctor might want to talk to you first, then see your son or see him first, then discuss your concerns. If you give them a heads up before you get there it is usually easier.